The Student Room Group

Material Science or natural science

If i want to take either material science or natural science at Oxford/Cambridge respectively would it be good to take 4 academic A levels (I was considering maths, chemistry, physics and furher maths) or take 3 academic ones as well as a human A level such a geogrpahy or history.
For physical natural sciences at Cambridge maths, further maths, physics and chemistry is by far the best combination. For materials at oxford I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if you didn't have fm though (the required ones are maths and physics and they like chemistry). There isn't much point taking a humanities a-level if your focus is squarely on a science degree from a top institution. Doing more science and maths will make you better at science and maths and so prepare you better for the courses. Doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry also keeps your options open for almost every maths, engineering, computer science and physical natural science (physics, chemistry materials ect) course.
Original post by mucci123
If i want to take either material science or natural science at Oxford/Cambridge respectively would it be good to take 4 academic A levels (I was considering maths, chemistry, physics and furher maths) or take 3 academic ones as well as a human A level such a geogrpahy or history.

It would be better to take Maths, Chemistry, Physics, and Further Maths for both courses. You could still get in with the other combination (for both) but having that four-sciences combination is definitely better. Having seen the first-year Materials Sciences papers, doing Further Maths at A-Level would make first year easier.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah you could apply to cambridge natsci without the further maths and they would be more accepting of that if your interests lay in material science.

Just tagging in @LMH OXFORD @Murray Edwards Admissions

All those are academic subjects but for Natural Science if you're going to do four A Levels then Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry is the best preparation for the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending