Khadj78
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is it possible to teach myself sociology? Just started it and it seems kinda difficult do you rote learn most stuff? Tips? Websites? Any help...
username2926188
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Buy the coursebook
Khadj78
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emerald7770)
Buy the coursebook
I have bought it.. so just kind of learn everything in the book of by heart?
username2926188
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Khadj78)
I have bought it.. so just kind of learn everything in the book of by heart?
Get a tuition teacher
Khadj78
Rep:
?
Get a tuition teacher
So it's not possible to teach myself??
username2926188
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So it's not possible to teach myself??
It is possible but it's going to be very difficult. A levels are difficult and self teaching them it's just a whole lot more. I really suggest you get a teacher. Do lots of past papers and exam style questions
Khadj78
Rep:
?
It is possible but it's going to be very difficult. A levels are difficult and self teaching them it's just a whole lot more. I really suggest you get a teacher. Do lots of past papers and exam style questions
I taught myself 8 O levels in one year if that counts for something 😬 but I guess you're right A levels are much harder... thanks anyway
username2926188
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I taught myself 8 O levels in one year if that counts for something 😬 but I guess you're right A levels are much harder... thanks anyway
8?? You can do it though but you really need to put in your all and revise hours on end
Khadj78
Rep:
?
8?? You can do it though but you really need to put in your all and revise hours on end
Yh and I achieved 3 A*s 3As and 2Bs! It's really just the determination and motivation that matters.
anon5252
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,What exam board are you doing? If you are doing AQA, I would recommend the AQA A level Sociology Book by Robb Webb, Hal Westgeard, Keith Trobe, and Annie Townend. [
MrsMars
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anon5252)
Hi,What exam board are you doing? If you are doing AQA, I would recommend the AQA A level Sociology Book by Robb Webb, Hal Westgeard, Keith Trobe, and Annie Townend. [
The thread title literally says CIE darling
Khadj78
Rep:
?
(Original post by anon5252)
Cambridge international examination
joker161
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is possible to teach yourself sociology, though it is quite difficult. Either you love the subject or it will be a pain in the ass for the coming year... last year I did CIE AS Sociology and I had 4 different teachers in one year, all of them awful... (Ik my school is great). I had no real guidance through the course and still managed to get a C out of it and I absolutely love the subject.
I guess the way to go through sociology is to try to understand what the theories mean and what they are trying to explain with them. Also, I'm horrible at remembering names so I came up with a strategy for my resit which is getting random face photos and associating each sociologist to each face and their arguments as well.

Btw my resit is in 2 days so... wish me luck ✌🏽
Khadj78
Rep:
?
(Original post by joker161)
It is possible to teach yourself sociology, though it is quite difficult. Either you love the subject or it will be a pain in the ass for the coming year... last year I did CIE AS Sociology and I had 4 different teachers in one year, all of them awful... (Ik my school is great). I had no real guidance through the course and still managed to get a C out of it and I absolutely love the subject.
I guess the way to go through sociology is to try to understand what the theories mean and what they are trying to explain with them. Also, I'm horrible at remembering names so I came up with a strategy for my resit which is getting random face photos and associating each sociologist to each face and their arguments as well.

Btw my resit is in 2 days so... wish me luck ✌🏽
That's so stressful!! Sociology is mostly learning stuff I've started using Flashcards and it's ok so far,any other tips??useful websites or books?Have u got ur results? How are they??
joker161
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's so stressful!! Sociology is mostly learning stuff I've started using Flashcards and it's ok so far,any other tips??useful websites or books?Have u got ur results? How are they??
I'm only getting my results in January so I dont know the grade yet... I used flashcards to memorise keywords and another technique I used was mind maps. theres not many websites for CIE but id advise you to look up this website since it has some useful summaries of the topics revisesociology.com/sociology-theories-a-level
Hope it helps you out
Khadj78
Rep:
?
I'm only getting my results in January so I dont know the grade yet... I used flashcards to memorise keywords and another technique I used was mind maps. theres not many websites for CIE but id advise you to look up this website since it has some useful summaries of the topics revisesociology.com/sociology-theories-a-level
Hope it helps you out
Thank you so much!
Khadj78
Rep:
?
Hope it helps you out
btw what books did you use apart from the cie coursebook?
joker161
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have a 900 pages book that helps because the CIE textbook is quite confusing and with this one, I have loads of examples on the topics coming in the exam.
Its called Sociology: Themes and Perspectives from Haralambos & Holborn

ISBN: 9780007245956
Khadj78
Rep:
?
I have a 900 pages book that helps because the CIE textbook is quite confusing and with this one, I have loads of examples on the topics coming in the exam.
Its called Sociology: Themes and Perspectives from Haralambos & Holborn

ISBN: 9780007245956
thank you i was finding the cie textbook quite confusing aswell.
MrsMars
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We don't use the CIE Coursebook at all; we've been taught from Themes and Perspectives (that was mentioned above)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (35)
14.89%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (72)
30.64%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (29)
12.34%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (20)
8.51%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (13)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (63)
26.81%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.28%

Watched Threads