The Student Room Group

Is it hard to get an A in AS maths?

In maths it always takes me so long to understand some things, for example my friend is so smart in maths (got a grade 9 at GCSE) and i'm always asking her for answers. But the thing is that I love maths and love revising on it. For instance, every time, I've been coming home I've been doing all the exercises on the particular lessons and further questions from my workbook. But in class I find it so hard to do most questions.

For example, today we did quadratic modelling and I just don't get it even after revising it.

But I'm someone who if doesn't understand something in maths lessons comes home and revises it until I do. So will this hopefully get me an A or do I actually have to understand most things in class.
Does anyone have any advice, maybe students who've got A's in AS.
Many thanks :smile:
Reply 1
What's Quadratic Modelling?
Maths is a lot different now. Before, I was the last year to do AS maths on the old spec bar resits. now it's different. On the old spec, you had the same old content recycled every year. So the paper would follow a certain structure, and it was a lot more revision focused. The downside is, very high grade boundaries as everyone else knows the structure of the exam too and the exam board can't make a harder exam without being over the top. They had fairly similar questions. Although it might be a bit harder to guess what will be on the exam this year, everyone else will find it harder too. AS maths was all about revision and much less about how mathematically capable you are. With a bit of elbow grease, you should be able to get an A. For Year 13, it's a different matter (someone from my school went from C at GCSE, to A at AS, to D at A2), but you asked for AS so i'll stick to talking about that.
Original post by Appleorpear
Maths is a lot different now. Before, I was the last year to do AS maths on the old spec bar resits. now it's different. On the old spec, you had the same old content recycled every year. So the paper would follow a certain structure, and it was a lot more revision focused. The downside is, very high grade boundaries as everyone else knows the structure of the exam too and the exam board can't make a harder exam without being over the top. They had fairly similar questions. Although it might be a bit harder to guess what will be on the exam this year, everyone else will find it harder too. AS maths was all about revision and much less about how mathematically capable you are. With a bit of elbow grease, you should be able to get an A. For Year 13, it's a different matter (someone from my school went from C at GCSE, to A at AS, to D at A2), but you asked for AS so i'll stick to talking about that.

Thanks (wish I was doing the old spec) but the main problem is I can NEVER do application questions, see I revise the topic well and can do the exercises in the book but the exam style questions (no matter for how long I try to think of how to get the answer) I can never do them. I'm just not naturally smart like my friend who find's all her subjects easy. So do you have any advice? :smile:
Original post by M4cc4n4
What's Quadratic Modelling?

Pure but alot of mechanics involved, very hard!
Original post by GCSE 9
Thanks (wish I was doing the old spec) but the main problem is I can NEVER do application questions, see I revise the topic well and can do the exercises in the book but the exam style questions (no matter for how long I try to think of how to get the answer) I can never do them. I'm just not naturally smart like my friend who find's all her subjects easy. So do you have any advice? :smile:

One of the things I would try and get into the habit is set up equations first and work step by step. Take it one piece at a time and then you get the overall answer. Sometimes, trying to jump straight into a question is not best way of answering it. One thing I do myself is think how you are going to tackle the question before answering and then take it step by step.

If you need more advice, ask away.
Reply 6
I got an A* in GCSE and got a B in AS Maths (A in C1, B in S1 and C in C2). I put a heck of a lot of work into both my GCSEs and A levels.

At first I didn't get AS Maths at all, I got a D on my first and second mock but after march I went uphill. Many do. You'll get there buddy.. as long as you put the effort in!!!

If I can, you can. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by GCSE 9

Take all the advice on AS Maths given here with a pinch of salt. No one has sat the new spec papers, so no one can give you an answer with 100% clarity, as well as everyone finding Maths easier/more difficult than others. However I'm going to assume that the content taught is similar, and I know that if you are taught well and revise effectively, i.e. lots of past papers/ asking questions if stuck, you'll be fine.
Now, achieving an A grade will require a lot of practice if you are not someone who can easily pick up concepts, but the good thing is, once you understand something, it's difficult to forget it or fail to understand it again. So if you're willing to put in the effort, I believe you can get an A grade, but there is always a risk you'll not find it enjoyable and start being satisfied by getting Cs (people who I didn't expect to take this path did, so don't exclude yourself).

Anyway, all the best in your future decisions, Maths is a really good A-level to take if you enjoy the subject
Old spec, Yes. New spec, no clue
Reply 9
Original post by AyyJeh
I got an A* in GCSE and got a B in AS Maths (A in C1, B in S1 and C in C2). I put a heck of a lot of work into both my GCSEs and A levels.

At first I didn't get AS Maths at all, I got a D on my first and second mock but after march I went uphill. Many do. You'll get there buddy.. as long as you put the effort in!!!

If I can, you can. :smile:

Yup, almost identical story from me, A* at GCSE, to a D in Mocks to an A. It is all understanding and problem solving and it seems to be practice alot and perseverance.

Original post by GCSE 9

I just don't remember doing Quadratic Modelling in C1 and C2 of old spec
Original post by GCSE 9

I just had a look at the sample exam papers and really it's not much different to be honest. You do both stats and mechanics in AS now. In the AS papers for OCR, I only saw two out of fifteen questions which I didn't cover in AS (and I've covered one of them in Y13, it's the easiest chapter by far) for the core mathematics section.

I think it's still a very revision based subject from what I saw on the sample exam papers. Also the paper seems to be waited heavily on the core maths so it's really not so bad (literally 3 mechanics questions on pure maths and mechanics paper out of 11).
Original post by Appleorpear
I just had a look at the sample exam papers and really it's not much different to be honest. You do both stats and mechanics in AS now. In the AS papers for OCR, I only saw two out of fifteen questions which I didn't cover in AS (and I've covered one of them in Y13, it's the easiest chapter by far) for the core mathematics section.

I think it's still a very revision based subject from what I saw on the sample exam papers. Also the paper seems to be waited heavily on the core maths so it's really not so bad (literally 3 mechanics questions on pure maths and mechanics paper out of 11).

The problem is that I struggle with application questions and the wordy questions, but what I want to know is that if I practice these kinds of questions will I be able to answer most application questions in the actual exam. I'm asking this because I don't really see a correlation, as the same questions you practice wont come up in the actual exam. I hope you get what I mean.
Original post by GCSE 9
The problem is that I struggle with application questions and the wordy questions, but what I want to know is that if I practice these kinds of questions will I be able to answer most application questions in the actual exam. I'm asking this because I don't really see a correlation, as the same questions you practice wont come up in the actual exam. I hope you get what I mean.

I get what you mean, I was kind of the same but honestly if you revise you'll see very similar questions pop up time and time again. There is often a very obvious method to finding the answer you've done before.

Quick Reply

Latest