dreaming_spires
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hia! I am currently in Year 11 and going to be doing my GCSEs in summer 2018. I have started thinking about A-Level options, and have decided (probably) on History, English Lit and Philosophy and Ethics. For my fourth I have been thinking about doing Politics but I'm not too sure. I wondered if anyone has any advice about whether or not I should take it? What is the course like? What are the exams like? What sort of topics do you cover? Would it go well with my other options? Any advice of information would be greatly appreciated
username3046368
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I did very similar A Levels (History, English Lit and Politics at A2). Politics was by far my favourite, its part of the reason I'm now pursuing a politics-related degree rather than law as I was previously. Also, despite me getting all A*'s, my A* in politics was by far my easiest, mainly because I was so interested in it anyway. Certainly, I think it's an easier subject to get a good grade in than History or English. If you have any curiosity about the way the world works and why, then you should do it.
tabbiesmeels
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thinking about your options early on is always a good thing, however A level choices are hard to make as they are very diverse subjects compared to GCSE so it's difficult to know what you are good at until you receive your results!! I took A level Politics and found it was most definitely my hardest subject, the course is changing for the year above you so it is hard to say what the course will be like. For my year AS was on: (Unit 1) Electoral systems, Pressure groups, Political parties and democracy (Unit 2) Prime minister and cabinet, Parliament, Constitution and Judges and civil liberties. If you have a very strong interest in Politics, thoroughly enjoy it and would like to pursue a career in it, then it's a good subject to take, however if you just think it's going to be an interesting course to do then i wouldn't recommend as i find the work is very demanding and can be hard to keep up with if you have no interest in the actual course !! I think the best thing to do for now is focus on your GCSE's and keep working hard, you still have ages until you have to decide what options you want to take for A level!! (Pro tip: make sure you have a passion for the subjects you do otherwise it can make college a lot harder for yourself) Good luck in your exams next year!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (671)
33.65%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (847)
42.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed