Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was going along with my plan of taking a gap year (do work experience) then apply for vet med.
    But just only now ive realised about accelerated vetmed courses such as in RVC after finishing a degree in courses such as bioveterinary/animal science/applied anatomy
    now im slightly stressing with what route i should take since i havent started my personal statement or anything. If i realised earlier i would of been calm about this.
    Plus would i still have loans for tuition fees for the vetmed course?

ReputationRep:
    You have ages to apply through UCAS if you decide to go for a biovet/animal science course etc so no need to panic (unless you decide to apply for vet med this year).

You would need to find the money for the second degree elsewhere I think, you can't get a student loan for the second degree.

(Original post by LauraKuza)
    I was going along with my plan of taking a gap year (do work experience) then apply for vet med.
    But just only now ive realised about accelerated vetmed courses such as in RVC after finishing a degree in courses such as bioveterinary/animal science/applied anatomy
    now im slightly stressing with what route i should take since i havent started my personal statement or anything. If i realised earlier i would of been calm about this.
    Plus would i still have loans for tuition fees for the vetmed course?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say apply now, then if you don't get in take a gap year and reapply, if it still doesn't work out then do the vet Bioscience and then transfer to the vet med, it would give you more chances to get in.

Like the others have said you'd need to find the money, most likely from bank of mum and dad, but its up to you, if your Bioscience degree was 3 years you'd get funding for first 2 years of vet med, as your loan you are allowed to take for 5 years, even if you transfer course and doesn't have to be the same course. So basically you just need to find enough for 2 years but it's doable if you get a part time job and start saving up! I'm earning about £8k a year working 25 hours a week, and say you didn't have time to work while at vet school cause it's so much studying you could work while 3 years on vet Bioscience so that would be £24k and then you have to pay £18.5k into tuition and that would leave you with £5.5k to live on but obviously that's not enough so you'd have to find funds somewhere else but it's doable!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.