Quitting Durham university for college Watch

Charlotteholly25
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm quitting to live back at home. I'm loosing out on what of the best universities but it just isn't for me.

Instead, I will become a teacher assistant. Do you think I should just go ahead with the three years and be successful or leave and be unhappy for 3 years.?
username775001
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Idk how you could make such a decision to quit after a matter of days. See out the year man up
Lucy39
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Charlotteholly25)
I'm quitting to live back at home. I'm loosing out on what of the best universities but it just isn't for me.

Instead, I will become a teacher assistant. Do you think I should just go ahead with the three years and be successful or leave and be unhappy for 3 years.?
Ahh what has happened to make you change your mind?

I see you're thinking of being a teaching assistant, is your course Primary Ed or some kind of Education course?

I studied Primary Ed and the first year was so hard initially, I had really bad anxiety and we had to do presentations literally in the second week. But each time I realised there was nothing to worry about and when I started realising this I started to really enjoy it!

During first school placement I had a breakdown and didn't think I wanted to continue on the path of becoming a teacher as I was lacking knowledge and was really anxious about my dyslexia, dyspraxia and short term memory and how they affected my teaching. I told my tutor I didn't think I could do it and that I would only be able to be a teaching assistant but she gave me so much support and I managed to get through it.

I do understand how difficult it can be when self-doubt kicks in.

Just remember each hurdle you get through, will help you to realise that you can do it! If your uni has given you the place, then they definitely think you can do it! And with hard work you can!

But obviously if being a teaching assistant is what you really want to do, you can do that. You can always work your way up in the future if you change your mind
Lucy39
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Just to add this early on you can change courses too, but you have to be quick!
Charlotteholly25
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dominoes)
Idk how you could make such a decision to quit after a matter of days. See out the year man up
Man up? You'd be feeling bad if i told you why...
Crumpet1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I honestly think you should try it out until Christmas. Many people suffer crippling homesickness for the first few weeks, and you need to assess how you are feeling after getting past that period. Another 9 weeks isn't much, is it, to invest in something so important to your future.
Charlotteholly25
Rep:
?
No staying would make me unhappy. But Durham university is good university and is favoured by employers

This doesn't make sense to me. Why leave if you think it'll make you unhappy?[/QUOTE]
Charlotteholly25
Rep:
?
You glanced over my request for additional details, so I'll assume it's just that you're not currently feeling it, in which case I'd say you should stay until Christmas and see how things feel. Evaluate your position over the break and determine your next step. I dropped out of uni myself and I regret it.[/QUOTE]
Charlotteholly25
Rep:
?
You glanced over my request for additional details, so I'll assume it's just that you're not currently feeling it, in which case I'd say you should stay until Christmas and see how things feel. Evaluate your position over the break and determine your next step. I dropped out of uni myself and I regret it.
[/QUOTE]

I don't like talking about it but my mum passed and I want to stay at home with my dad.
JSSB
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I just dropped out of Durham

https://youtu.be/XZJbdxXUtks

James.
Crumpet1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't like talking about it but my mum passed and I want to stay at home with my dad. [/QUOTE]

But in a previous thread you said that after your mum passed, your dad started favouring your sibling and that was making you unhappy? If that is the case then perhaps a bit of distance might do your relationship the world of good.

I would also add that your presence won't help to prop up your dad with his grieving process. Realistically that is just something that needs to be worked through with time, and would he (or your mum) want you to drop out of university on this ground?
Emzb84
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,I understand where your coming from my dad died in my second year (during exam period) which was tough. I can see why you feel you need to support your family. My advice (from my own experience) is to 1) speak to your academic advisor, 2) your college, and 3) think about visiting the counselling service. Maybe consider taking time out.
durhamdunce
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Give it at least a year, then if you don't like it at least you got credits for a CertHE (Certificate in Higher education).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 29 Jun '20
  • Durham University
    Sat, 4 Jul '20
  • Durham University
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (96)
23.94%
No (305)
76.06%

Watched Threads