Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Oxford is my dream school with my dream major being PPE, and I really want to get in because they do not offer PPE courses in the US... but I am not sure that I am qualified.

I am currently a Junior in High school (Year 12 I believe in the UK?) and my credentials are as follows:

1450 (out of 1600) on the new SAT
    5 on AP Computer Science Test
    5 on AP Chinese Test
    4 on AP US Government Test

These are the test scores I am hoping to get this year:
    5 on AP Comparative Government and Politics
    5 on AP Calculus AB
    5 on AP Psychology
    5 on AP World History
    5 on AP English Language
    1500 on SAT retake
    750 on English SAT II
    750 on World History SAT II

These are the tests I will be taking in Year 13 (and projected test scores)
    5 on AP English Literature
    5 on AP Calculus C
    5 on AP Statistics
    5 on AP French
    5 on AP Economics

Although the test scores I received in Year 11 were poor, I have confidence that I will be able to do well from now on. This is because I did not study for any of the tests that I took then.
    I am just worried that Oxford will not consider me because of the 4 on my AP US Govt test and my poor score on my first sitting of the SAT...

I understand that I still have to worry about the TSA and Interviews next year, but I first have to get my test scores up.

Am I qualified for Oxford? The honest truth would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vxczng)
    So from a quick bit of googling:cyber:

Oxford will accept both the old-system and the redesigned SAT. Students sitting the redesigned SAT will need to achieve a total score of 1,470 (out of 1,600). We do not require the optional essay in the redesigned SAT. Any candidates with a test date prior to, or including, January 2016 will be expected to achieve the SAT Reasoning Test with at least 1,400 in Critical Reading and Mathematics and also 700 or more in Writing, giving a combined score of at least 2,100 (out of 2,400).

Source: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...cations?wssl=1

I think the good thing about this is that you have time. Time to work on your academic stuff and don't worry about the TSA or interview just yet (we can help you with that too). There may still be merit in you applying, I'd wait until you have a better idea of how your current studies are going before making a final decision.

I should also say that I'm not a huge expert on this, so there will be others here with more accurate advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vxczng)
    Oxford is my dream school with my dream major being PPE, and I really want to get in because they do not offer PPE courses in the US... but I am not sure that I am qualified.

I am currently a Junior in High school (Year 12 I believe in the UK?) and my credentials are as follows:

1450 (out of 1600) on the new SAT
    5 on AP Computer Science Test
    5 on AP Chinese Test
    4 on AP US Government Test

These are the test scores I am hoping to get this year:
    5 on AP Comparative Government and Politics
    5 on AP Calculus AB
    5 on AP Psychology
    5 on AP World History
    5 on AP English Language
    1500 on SAT retake
    750 on English SAT II
    750 on World History SAT II

These are the tests I will be taking in Year 13 (and projected test scores)
    5 on AP English Literature
    5 on AP Calculus C
    5 on AP Statistics
    5 on AP French
    5 on AP Economics

Although the test scores I received in Year 11 were poor, I have confidence that I will be able to do well from now on. This is because I did not study for any of the tests that I took then.
    I am just worried that Oxford will not consider me because of the 4 on my AP US Govt test and my poor score on my first sitting of the SAT...

I understand that I still have to worry about the TSA and Interviews next year, but I first have to get my test scores up.

Thanks!
    PPE is offered in America, most notably at Penn. Obviously nothing quite compares to PPE at Oxford. Your test scores are excellent, and PPE at Oxford requires much less. AP scores that are not 5 will not count towards your final consideration. I would suggest taking the ACT as it will give you another test score to add to your application.

My advice:
    - Work hard, remain committed, print out a picture of Oxford and put it on your wall
    - Think of a teacher or counsellor to write your "reference" now, this is the UK version of a letter of recommendation. This person will have to verify your test scores, and will tell universities whether or not you will get the scores you say you will.
    - Search for TSA test centres now, as the TSA is required for PPE. I am just guessing that you are from California, but if so, you have it easy. You may have to travel to take the test. The deadline for registering is usually mid-October, do not miss it.
    - Understand the coursework at Oxford. Are you prepared to write multiple 2500-word essays per week? Do you have the stamina and passion to sustain your studies?

ReputationRep:
    If you manage to get your SAT score over the minimum, the real deciding factor in getting shortlisted for interview will be your TSA score. That and your interview performance will be the real drivers towards getting an offer. One 4 on an AP as a sophomore isn't going to knock you off the shortlist if everything else is good. Be prepared though, competition for PPE slots is fierce. Just as a benchmark, in 2016, there were 558 non-UK/EU PPE applicants. Only 54 received offers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.