Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I only started uni yesterday, and I don’t feel lonely or anything but I just really want to go home. I didn’t even really want to come here but It’s the only thing I could think of doing. I’ve made friends and I like my course, and I want to do the sort of jobs it will lead me to, but I just don’t want to be away from home and my family.
    I really wanted to go to a uni closer to home, but there are none that are good and I don’t want to waste myself by going to a bad uni.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I only started uni yesterday, and I don’t feel lonely or anything but I just really want to go home. I didn’t even really want to come here but It’s the only thing I could think of doing. I’ve made friends and I like my course, and I want to do the sort of jobs it will lead me to, but I just don’t want to be away from home and my family.
    I really wanted to go to a uni closer to home, but there are none that are good and I don’t want to waste myself by going to a bad uni.
    I understand this

You'll find that the longer you resist it, the easier it gets. Depending on the distance you can always visit once a month or so.

It is difficult I know and brings a great deal of sadness at the start but you will get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I felt the same when I came to uni, and as hard as it is you just need to stick it out. The longer you stay at uni the less homesick you will be. It doesn't last forever that feeling it just takes a couple of weeks to go away. You will start to get used to it eventually.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think you should try it out until Christmas. Many people suffer crippling homesickness for the first few weeks, and you need to assess how you are feeling after getting past that period. Another 9 weeks isn't much, is it, to invest in something so important to your future.

You are not alone, many people around you are feeling the same. Try to keep busy.

Thanks for the advice. I’m going to try to stay until christmas at least because I’ve already paid for this term’s accommodation. I spoke to my parents today and they said they’d like to come and visit a couple of times aswell.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't started uni yet but good luck with it
    I hope you get over your homesickness

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.