Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I received my first Maintenance Loan payment in late September - which I used to pay my first installment of rent (which I was paying late, as it had been due at the beginning of the month ...however due to not getting my Maintenance Loan installment until later in the month, the student accommodation people allowed me to defer it).

I have three more rent installments for the first year left. One today, one in January and one in April. In both January and April, I get more Maintenance Loan payments so I will be using those payments to pay those two rent installments.

However, this one due today (3rd October) - I don't have a Maintenance Loan installment to coincide with it - and what I have left over from my first Maintenance Loan installment isn't enough (should go without saying) and will need to last me until January which is when I get my next Maintenance Loan payment! I need to eat and drink, do my laundry, travel to and from campus and buy everyday essentials (i.e. general living/maintenance). I am not going to be able to pay this particular rent installment.

What do I do!? I know that they'd be happy to defer again, if it was only a matter of days or even weeks....but until January!? They'll tell me to go and take a jump. This isn't my fault and is beyond my control, I cannot help that I only get three Maintenance Loan payments but four rent due dates.....I wish SFE paid my Maintenance Loan to me in full, because I'd have just paid the year's rent upfront if that was the case. Alas, I'm in this dire predicament.

What a shame I couldn't defer this particular payment until April. My last rent payment is only 700 quid which I'd be paying with a coinciding Maintenance Loan payment of 3k. If only they'd allow me, on that date, to pay April's installment AND the one due today (I'd be able to do it, because the Maintenance Loan would cover both).

I have no money in a savings account, do not have a part-time job (even if I did, lol, I don't think it would quickly serve me up £2,933 , which is how much the rent is). I only have a few hundred left over from first Maintenance Loan payment which I must use to stay alive until the next one comes through in January.

Can someone advise me on what to do? Or on what kind of an offer to make to the accommodation. It is iQ accommodation, and they say they take arrears very seriously (as any sane landlord would) so I am terrified. I have not slept all night with worry and am so tired
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by anxiety2017)
    So I received my first Maintenance Loan payment in late September - which I used to pay my first installment of rent (which I was paying late, as it had been due at the beginning of the month ...however due to not getting my Maintenance Loan installment until later in the month, the student accommodation people allowed me to defer it).

I have three more rent installments for the first year left. One today, one in January and one in April. In both January and April, I get more Maintenance Loan payments so I will be using those payments to pay those two rent installments.

However, this one due today (3rd October) - I don't have a Maintenance Loan installment to coincide with it - and what I have left over from my first Maintenance Loan installment isn't enough (should go without saying) and will need to last me until January which is when I get my next Maintenance Loan payment! I need to eat and drink, do my laundry, travel to and from campus and buy everyday essentials (i.e. general living/maintenance). I am not going to be able to pay this particular rent installment.

What do I do!? I know that they'd be happy to defer again, if it was only a matter of days or even weeks....but until January!? They'll tell me to go and take a jump. This isn't my fault and is beyond my control, I cannot help that I only get three Maintenance Loan payments but four rent due dates.....I wish SFE paid my Maintenance Loan to me in full, because I'd have just paid the year's rent upfront if that was the case. Alas, I'm in this dire predicament.

What a shame I couldn't defer this particular payment until April. My last rent payment is only 700 quid which I'd be paying with a coinciding Maintenance Loan payment of 3k. If only they'd allow me, on that date, to pay April's installment AND the one due today (I'd be able to do it, because the Maintenance Loan would cover both).

I have no money in a savings account, do not have a part-time job (even if I did, lol, I don't think it would quickly serve me up £2,933 , which is how much the rent is). I only have a few hundred left over from first Maintenance Loan payment which I must use to stay alive until the next one comes through in January.

Can someone advise me on what to do? Or on what kind of an offer to make to the accommodation. It is iQ accommodation, and they say they take arrears very seriously (as any sane landlord would) so I am terrified. I have not slept all night with worry and am so tired
    How much was the first installment? It's unusual for there to be four installments. All you can do is ask for the payments to be changed or swap to cheaper accomodation?

ReputationRep:
    As the poster above says, four rent instalments is highly unusual as accomodation providers know students are paid their loans in three termly installments.

Check your contract again. Was the first payment a deposit rather than an installment for example? That’s all I can think of. Check the dates and amounts of each installment plus the deposit.

If this still shows 4 definite installments plus a deposit amount there will be other students in the same boat as you for sure. Your options are then to arrange an immediate appointment with the accomodation provider to come to an agreement and to seek help from the university advice staff too.

When you chose this accomodation did you and parents check the contract carefully? You must at some stage looked to see if this accomodation was in your price range?

Please try and stay calm and check the contract minutely, and tackle it from there.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to you both for taking the time to respond. It means so much. I paid a some what small three figure deposit in June or July, I think...and then yes, it is 100% four rent installments (odd, I agree with you, given that they should know students only get three loan payments). I will email them and will let you know what they say (I'm so scared).

I did check the contract info before signing it and knew there would be four installments. However, stupidly, I didn't do my homework on the Maintenance Loan and assumed I'd be getting it all in one go (I intended on paying the accommodation people the full years rent in one whack). My error... And, as it seems now, a huge one at that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anxiety2017)
    Thanks to you both for taking the time to respond. It means so much. I paid a some what small three figure deposit in June or July, I think...and then yes, it is 100% four rent installments (odd, I agree with you, given that they should know students only get three loan payments). I will email them and will let you know what they say (I'm so scared).

I did check the contract info before signing it and knew there would be four installments. However, stupidly, I didn't do my homework on the Maintenance Loan and assumed I'd be getting it all in one go (I intended on paying the accommodation people the full years rent in one whack). My error... And, as it seems now, a huge one at that.

Ok..so now we know you definitely have to make 4 installments. If you have no way out of this and the provider only gives you a short time to pay then-

Contact your bank asking for a student overdraft
    Apply for a student credit card.
    Talk to Finance dept at the university. Perhaps a hardship payment could be put into place which you could repay next April?
    Any parental contributions able to be made?

I also suggest switching to accomodation next year to that of 3 termly installments. Are there other students in the flats in your predicament too? Chatting to them may help. How tight is this current contract? Only talking with the provider will clarify your whole position and the time you will have to find this extra payment.

ReputationRep:
    Have emailed them asking them if they'll be prepared to defer the payment and take it out with the final installment in April - as both the final April payment and October payment will be covered by my Maintenance Loan payment paid out then.

No answer as of yet, after two days, but hoping they show mercy.

Will keep you updated.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.