Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm not sure as to whether I should resit my GCSE Mathematics.

I achieved a Grade 5, but ideally i would've like to attained a 6 or maybe even a 7.

I didn't revise nearly hard enough for Maths, hence my grade.

I've got a place on all the A Levels I wanted to do, however my thoughts lie with if my grade 5 may hinder my future in any way?

Thanks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    what grade does a 5 convert to, a C?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreamville1)
    what grade does a 5 convert to, a C?
    I believe it equates to a high C/low B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haider_A)
    what uni or course would you like to do?

ReputationRep:
    what uni or course would you like to do?

I'm considering doing either law, politics or psychology at university (possible oxbridge but I'm not too bothered if I don't get in)

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I would resit to at least get a 6. If you are certain that you can achieve a higher score, why not? It will probably benefit you in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering doing either law, politics or psychology at university (possible oxbridge but I'm not too bothered if I don't get in)
    Right, all of those courses are competitive so resitting would make sense to do however a B at maths for all of those courses should meet all uni requirements so if you're confident with your application and have well rounded application you wont have any problems.

I personally know someone doing psychology at Durham, she also had a B in maths

BUT I had to retake my gcse maths for my course as I needed an A minimum and had a B after year 11, so I can tell you it wasn't really much work - I revised just one week and got an A* (but I took A level maths)

ReputationRep:
    Right, all of those courses are competitive so resitting would make sense to do however a B at maths for all of those courses should meet all uni requirements so if you're confident with your application and have well rounded application you wont have any problems.

I personally know someone doing psychology at Durham, she also had a B in maths

BUT I had to retake my gcse maths for my course as I needed an A minimum and had a B after year 11, so I can tell you it wasn't really much work - I revised just one week and got an A* (but I took A level maths)

Okay I think that I may go for it. Can my grade go down further? For example, if I attain a 4 in Maths (that won't happen as I'm willing to revise hard), will they use the 4 or will they use the higher grade on my ceriticate?

ReputationRep:
    Okay I think that I may go for it. Can my grade go down further? For example, if I attain a 4 in Maths (that won't happen as I'm willing to revise hard), will they use the 4 or will they use the higher grade on my ceriticate?
    nah you can keep your old grade, when I did my resit I had this question too:banana:

ReputationRep:
    nah you can keep your old grade, when I did my resit I had this question too:banana:
    How would you recommend that I revise for it?

ReputationRep:
    How would you recommend that I revise for it?
    I would stress past papers as the best way for doing well in maths

ReputationRep:
    I would stress past papers as the best way for doing well in maths
    So would you recommend me doing practice papers under exam conditons and then checking my answers using the mark scheme after? And make note of the questions I got wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but considered a C

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm not sure as to whether I should resit my GCSE Mathematics.

I achieved a Grade 5, but ideally i would've like to attained a 6 or maybe even a 7.

I didn't revise nearly hard enough for Maths, hence my grade.

I've got a place on all the A Levels I wanted to do, however my thoughts lie with if my grade 5 may hinder my future in any way?

Thanks
    TBH if its anything like my college, GCSE's are literally forgotten about after the first two weeks of college. I'd just focus on your college choices. I think there may be chance of going down too but don't quote me on that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisyjo7)
    TBH if its anything like my college, GCSE's are literally forgotten about after the first two weeks of college. I'd just focus on your college choices. I think there may be chance of going down too but don't quote me on that
    Thanks! I did speak to my Exams Officer and she said that they would use whichever grade is higher; so I have some reassurance

I think I will be resitting them, mainly because most universities require a B for most degree's anyway

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.