Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Medicine Gap Year/Re applicant personal statement. HELP!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I was forced to take a gap year after getting all rejections for medicine . I am applying again this year but because this was an unplanned gap year and also because I had spontaneously decided to take a year out on results day, I haven't really done anything that counts as "gap year work experience".

I am planning to do things in the future like travelling + getting a job and hopefully some med experience. I am also resitting one of my A levels as well (not to worry I have sorted that out) .

so my question really is that can I just write about my future plans or? what if these plans change? how am I suppose to write about my gap year plans in a way that works and how much space should I dedicate to this?

any help will be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar position
    Resitting one subject to apply for med and haven't really made plans for the year (decided to take a gap year on results day)
    I'm not sure how much space I should use for it either atm it's about three lines wbu?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Same but some people are planning to dedicate a whole paragraphs apparently, i am just afraid my plans will change after my ps is sent :/

also what unis are you applying to! any thoughts about plans for the year? i have just been looking at the standard stuff ....

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of applying to Liverpool,HYMS,Lancaster and BSMS wbu?
    My main plans for the year are to arrange some more WEX or some sort of voluntary role and also try and get a job along with revising for my resit

ReputationRep:
    Same here tbh... I am thinking of similar med schools too.. As for plans for gap year. I wanted to travel but that's a lot of £££ which I am hoping to save up by working. Tho I am not sure whether to mention this in my PS..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exotical)
    Same here tbh... I am thinking of similar med schools too.. As for plans for gap year. I wanted to travel but that's a lot of £££ which I am hoping to save up by working. Tho I am not sure whether to mention this in my PS..

yh mention you are planning to work shows your doing something productive and if you want to put the reason why do that too if you have space

btw have you sat the bmat/revising for bmat?
    also which subject u resitting?

ReputationRep:
    I am retaking physics wbu?

and i am not really thinking of Bmat unis just because i know most of them dont accept resits / i dont really wanna go to..

ReputationRep:
    Retaking bio

Only BSMS and Lancaster need BMAT for resit but because my ukcat is quite low (657) I'm going to try and get a better score for BMAT (don't want to take the risk of only applying to ukcat unis with quite a low score)

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position as a last minute gap year med applicant!! I've got an interview for a healthcare assistant position in the hospital too - but thats on the 18th of october so 3 days after the deadline!! I wanted to mention that i'm awaiting interivew in my personal statement but my old college tutor told me not to write about things I havent done yet so im unsure what to do ?!

ReputationRep:
    It would be risky writing it down maybe just write you intend to carry out more WEX within the field of healthcare?
    Also do you know how I can put my predicted grade of biology in UCAS as I don't think my referee has predicted me a grade.

And which unis you applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gapmed2018)
    It would be risky writing it down maybe just write you intend to carry out more WEX within the field of healthcare?
    Also do you know how I can put my predicted grade of biology in UCAS as I don't think my referee has predicted me a grade.

And which unis you applying to?
    Yeah, might just dedicate a sentence saying that I intend to work as a healthcare assistant or something
    And I'm not sure sorry!! I think it's somewhere in the education bit possibly but you're best off contacting your referee, and if no predicted grade still I'd ring up ucas
    I'm applying to Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle and KCL (although the last two I don't think I stand much chance for) wbu?

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to Lancaster, Liverpool, HYMS and either BSMS/Bristol

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to Lancaster, Liverpool, HYMS and either BSMS/Bristol
    Did you apply last year for those too or elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't apply anywhere last year🙃

Basically I initially was applying for optometry but then changed my mind half way through the year as I found my medical WEX much more appealing than optometry(which was just completely 💩)

Wbu how far did you get last year in the process?

ReputationRep:
    I applied to four med but got all rejections rip lol, probs bc I had a really low UKCAT (610 Band 2)
    I applied to Liverpool, Newcastle (through Partners), Bristol and Leeds. I was in a similar situation to you because after I sat my ukcat I felt like I HAD to apply to BMAT unis, it's a risk but as long as you work really hard for you bmat prep wise (which I didn't) you'll be fine
    Also be careful about Bristol bc their personal statement requirements are intense, so only apply if you've got tonnes of extra curricular, work exp, and volunteering ; Lancasters a tricky one too since they only have around 50 seats or something apparently for the entire med school

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice!
    Btw are you applying with mitigating circumstances as i don't think some of those med schools accept resits? (Or do they now?)
    Also what did you get in your BMAT last year?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice!
    Btw are you applying with mitigating circumstances as i don't think some of those med schools accept resits? (Or do they now?)
    Also what did you get in your BMAT last year?
    Oh nope, i'm not resitting anything this year, but I'm sure you're right in saying some of those uni dont accept resits.
    And honestly I cant remember, I kinda went into the BMAT unprepared just winging it - obviously performing poorly though . If the concept is anything like the UKCAT, I know for sure that practice is literally everything. I attended one of those like teaching courses for BMAT too last year, and honestly that helped so much because even though I did no prep other that it gave me a good understanding of what the exam is like and what examiners are looking for - especially in the essay segment. Just make sure you really study for it and you'll do fine

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar position but had an offer last year and missed my grades. Are you completely re-doing your UCAS form and are you applying with school or as an individual? I am resitting biology and chemistry in the summer and planning to do some volunteering and get work experience this year but nothing is confirmed yet as I was focusing on UKCAT and now UCAS. I'm not so sure how to approach this in my ps though

ReputationRep:
    I'm resitting bio this year and applying as an individual
    Same I'm hoping to get some more WEX/volunteering in my PS I just mention my intentions for the year and my application is the same except for choices and some parts of my PS wbu?
    How far are you through your application and where are you thinking of applying?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.