The Student Room Group

Urgent question

Im unsure how to do this, can anyone help me please .

An ideal inductor of inductance 2.3 mH is connected in parallel with a resistor of resistance 187 Ω. This parallel combination is then connected in series with a second ideal inductor of inductance 1.0 mH. The sinusoidal voltage source for the circuit is 112 V, 63.3 Hz. Sketch the circuit and find the magnitude of the current, I, flowing through the resistor
Original post by mbooker
Im unsure how to do this, can anyone help me please .

An ideal inductor of inductance 2.3 mH is connected in parallel with a resistor of resistance 187 Ω. This parallel combination is then connected in series with a second ideal inductor of inductance 1.0 mH. The sinusoidal voltage source for the circuit is 112 V, 63.3 Hz. Sketch the circuit and find the magnitude of the current, I, flowing through the resistor

Find the individual reactance (in Ohms at the input frequency) for both inductors using XL=2πfLX_{L} = 2 \pi fL

Then replace the inductors in circuit with those calculated 'effective' ohmic values and work the problem using Ohms and Kirchoff's laws as if they were all resistors with a d.c. supply of 112V.
Reply 2
Original post by uberteknik
Find the individual reactance (in Ohms at the input frequency) for both inductors using XL=2πfLX_{L} = 2 \pi fL

Then replace the inductors in circuit with those calculated 'effective' ohmic values and work the problem using Ohms and Kirchoff's laws as if they were all resistors with a d.c. supply of 112V.

Thankyou uberteknik for your help, tonight not sure if I will get time to complete these before the deadline but will try. Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest