Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can you guys give me some case studies of countries that have failed due to poor rational decision making? I need to study it for my personal statement, so multiple examples would be nice! If you can link some articles that would be even better. I'm applying for PPE, if that helps
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callumterty)
    Can you guys give me some case studies of countries that have failed due to poor rational decision making? I need to study it for my personal statement, so multiple examples would be nice! If you can link some articles that would be even better. I'm applying for PPE, if that helps
    Why do you need this for your personal statement? Your PS should be explaining why you want to study PPE - and it's not really showing that you want to study when you cba to do your own research.

ReputationRep:
    You're not cut out for uni if you can't do your own research

ReputationRep:
    I tried to do my own research but I've got limited resources and I need the examples ASAP. I'm in school at the moment and I have multiple websites blocked on the Internet, even on my phone. I need the examples by the end of today and that's why I turned to TSR.

ReputationRep:
    Greece
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I tried to do my own research but I've got limited resources and I need the examples ASAP. I'm in school at the moment and I have multiple websites blocked on the Internet, even on my phone. I need the examples by the end of today and that's why I turned to TSR.
    But it makes no sense. Your PS is supposed to show why you want to study economics. Your current logic is "I want to study economics because of something I don't even know about yet".

ReputationRep:
    I've studied rational decision making and read about it extensively, I was just told that adding a real life case study would further demonstrate my interest
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I've studied rational decision making and read about it extensively, I was just told that adding a real life case study would further demonstrate my interest
    In line with Juno, if your interest was genuine I'd question why you're not able to find real life examples throughout history and the present day. Given that Government Failure is a key part of the A-Level curriculum, I'd revisit what you've been taught towards the end of last year and just read the news to see where some examples of it might be occurring.

I realise this sounds unnecessarily cryptic, but it's important that your interest in something is genuine if you're going to be studying this for three or more years and paying over 27k to do so. More so, university will be a time when independent study is emphasised to a far greater degree than it is for you atm so you need to have the skills, to apply what you're learning to the real world by yourself, to at least a basic level.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.