Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    personally I think Brexit was a terrible mistake with most OUT voters misinformed at how 'all the foreigners' will go back to their countries and life will be like 1950's era England, which is, of course, ludicrous. also, many OUT voters were old people who, lets face it, will be stone dead in a few years, but young teens and young people are cheated out of their future by misinformed people who won't even be alive to see the changes.

what do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WyvernFire)
    personally I think Brexit was a terrible mistake with most OUT voters misinformed at how 'all the foreigners' will go back to their countries and life will be like 1950's era England, which is, of course, ludicrous. also, many OUT voters were old people who, lets face it, will be stone dead in a few years, but young teens and young people are cheated out of their future by misinformed people who won't even be alive to see the changes.

what do you guys think?

i agree with you completely, us younger adults (16+) should have voted as it effects us the most its our future and the OUT voters have screwed us over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccatx)
    i agree with you completely, us younger adults (16+) should have voted as it effects us the most its our future and the OUT voters have screwed us over.
    exactly, the outcome was awful!

ReputationRep:
    exactly, the outcome was awful!
    now its us that have to pay the price!! i`m glad someone else agrees with me

ReputationRep:

what do you guys think?
    The problem I have with Brexit is how badly it was handled by the government. The Brexit referendum was fundamentally a bluff by David Cameron because he legitimately didn't think people would vote out, and because of that they never came up with any form of plan for what to do if we actually did leave, so when people did vote out we were basically up a creek without a paddle so to speak. For the government to call bluff on something as complicated as Brexit is incredibly irresponsible. Something like leaving the EU is very complex and to go into it without any proper form of plan is idiotic and ridiculous. The government should've sat down and come up with a proper detailed plan as to what they were going to do if people voted out and they should've outlined that plan to the public.

I voted to remain in the referendum because we were given no information as to what we would do if we left, because they didn't have a plan and didn't bother to make one as they didn't think it would happen. Going into something like Brexit blind puts us as a massive disadvantage and means we will get a pretty bum deal because we end up having to make compromises to get the job done as we have no game plan. I voted remain because I was not comfortable voting for something which we were given no information about and which was basically a shot in the dark.

I do not think right now was the right time for Brexit, given the general climate of the world. Give it 10 years and an actual plan from the government, it may have been different because granted there are a lot of problems in the EU that, despite being a remainer, I agree do need to addressing because the EU can be quite unjust at times and it is in our main interest to make sure we don't get screwed over by the EU not taking our interests into account. However it irks me how a lot of pro-brexiteers are just unwilling to admit that the government messed up with their process with this and handled it incredibly poorly. You can still be in favour of Brexit and admit the government regardless of party is incredibly dysfunctional across the board and that needs addressing.

At the end of the day we are where we are, and whilst I agree, I'm not a fan of Brexit and didn't vote for it, I don't agree with things like a 'second referendum' because going halfway into decisions and backing out would make things far worse for us. It's unfortunately one of those things we just have to ride out and hope works out for the best. This really just needs to be a massive pointer that the way the government is in the current day needs addressing because a government should not be able to go into something this important and complex blindly and calling it as a bluff. That's incredibly irresponsible and the fact we live in a world where that's possible is ridiculous.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I think you're all *****.

ReputationRep:
    Like I know basically every student these days is a radicalised communist who doesn't understand History but come on. Respect democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaRebecca1997)
    The problem I have with Brexit is how badly it was handled by the government. The Brexit referendum was fundamentally a bluff by David Cameron because he legitimately didn't think people would vote out, and because of that they never came up with any form of plan for what to do if we actually did leave, so when people did vote out we were basically up a creek without a paddle so to speak. For the government to call bluff on something as complicated as Brexit is incredibly irresponsible. Something like leaving the EU is very complex and to go into it without any proper form of plan is idiotic and ridiculous. The government should've sat down and come up with a proper detailed plan as to what they were going to do if people voted out and they should've outlined that plan to the public.

I voted to remain in the referendum because we were given no information as to what we would do if we left, because they didn't have a plan and didn't bother to make one as they didn't think it would happen. Going into something like Brexit blind puts us as a massive disadvantage and means we will get a pretty bum deal because we end up having to make compromises to get the job done as we have no game plan. I voted remain because I was not comfortable voting for something which we were given no information about and which was basically a shot in the dark.

I do not think right now was the right time for Brexit, given the general climate of the world. Give it 10 years and an actual plan from the government, it may have been different because granted there are a lot of problems in the EU that, despite being a remainer, I agree do need to addressing because the EU can be quite unjust at times and it is in our main interest to make sure we don't get screwed over by the EU not taking our interests into account. However it irks me how a lot of pro-brexiteers are just unwilling to admit that the government messed up with their process with this and handled it incredibly poorly. You can still be in favour of Brexit and admit the government regardless of party is incredibly dysfunctional across the board and that needs addressing.

At the end of the day we are where we are, and whilst I agree, I'm not a fan of Brexit and didn't vote for it, I don't agree with things like a 'second referendum' because going halfway into decisions and backing out would make things far worse for us. It's unfortunately one of those things we just have to ride out and hope works out for the best. This really just needs to be a massive pointer that the way the government is in the current day needs addressing because a government should not be able to go into something this important and complex blindly and calling it as a bluff. That's incredibly irresponsible and the fact we live in a world where that's possible is ridiculous.
    now this is hard-core.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

what do you guys think?
    The logic that Out voters will simply die off is flawed because the nation as a whole is aging and people change their views over time.

At any rate i voted for Brexit and i am far more informed than even most people on TSR, not least because i actually read extracts of the treasury and IMF and Treasury reports rather than parrot the media line.

I'm also curious.. when you say that young people have had a future stolen from them. What exactly have they lost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinWebster)
    Like I know basically every student these days is a radicalised communist who doesn't understand History but come on. Respect democracy.
    Someone who understands history wouldn't always respect democratic decisions simply because they're democratic. It's right to respect the fact that people can have opinions, but that doesn't mean that their opinions (and the consequences of their opinions, such as democratic decisions) shouldn't be free from scrutiny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinWebster)
    You don't understand democracy and remainers/young people are not all communists.

ReputationRep:
    remainers don't exist anymore. the debate is over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'm also curious.. when you say that young people have had a future stolen from them. What exactly have they lost?
    The right to work, study and live abroad in 27 other countries and possibly more should the EU expand in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    The right to work, study and live abroad in 27 other countries and possibly more should the EU expand in the future.
    Surely you could simply get a visa as is required by most countries. If you are valuable enough to another country then it should be simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pickell)
    Surely you could simply get a visa as is required by most countries. If you are valuable enough to another country then it should be simple.
    Maybe, but getting a visa and having the right to live somewhere are two separate things.

Currently, we all have the right to live in another EU country regardless of how 'valuable' we are. Without this right there's no guarantee that we can continue doing this even if we were 'valuable'.

I'd also argue that our rights in other EU countries expand beyond that of what visa holders are entitled to.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    In terms of study its highly likely that we will opt in to ERASMUS so i think that has been overblown however although you have lost a seamless right, you have no more lost the opportunity to live and work abroad than you have to live or work in Australia, your simply dependent on their immigration system (EU states are not exactly known for closed borders if your skilled).

At this point its hard to see where it could expand that would not be horrific (bar the Balkans). I rather suspect the focus will be on deeper integration and holding onto its current states as it becomes more federal.

ReputationRep:

what do you guys think?
    Nobody from Vote Leave or Leave.EU suggested that "foreigners will go back". They correctly suggested that we should limit immigration as services in the UK are suffering. 690,000 people are coming to the UK annually and then people wonder why services and housing are suffering.

Since 1987 there have been 15 million students who have attended University in the UK. Only 1.3% or 200,000 have used Erasmus. If students really wanted to learn Romanian to go and study at a Uni ranked 10,000 in the world, they would have used Erasmus.

Less than 1 million Brits live in the EU, more live in the US and Australia.

It will cost more to travel over the Severn Bridge into Wales than it will to buy a visa to to go to France.

The EU is a protectionist 27 white country bloc. Escalating tariffs actually harm developing countries in Africa. Remainers voted to stay tied to a 27 white country bloc, leavers voted to trade with the world. Remainers sound pretty xenophobic to me.

What exactly do you feel cheated out of?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, but getting a visa and having the right to live somewhere are two separate things.

Currently, we all have the right to live in another EU country regardless of how 'valuable' we are. Without this right there's no guarantee that we can continue doing this even if we were 'valuable'.

I'd also argue that our rights in other EU countries expand beyond that of what visa holders are entitled to.
    No we don't.

We have a right to remain for 3 months, after the 3 month period is up, the host nation can ask you to leave if you can't show you can self fund and/or have employment.

The same 3 months/90 day rights exist in most countries in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    In terms of study its highly likely that we will opt in to ERASMUS so i think that has been overblown however although you have lost a seamless right, you have no more lost the opportunity to live and work abroad than you have to live or work in Australia, your simply dependent on their immigration system (EU states are not exactly known for closed borders if your skilled).

At this point its hard to see where it could expand that would not be horrific (bar the Balkans). I rather suspect the focus will be on deeper integration and holding onto its current states as it becomes more federal.
    Like others in this thread you've equated the right to live somewhere with the ability to apply to live somewhere. These things are not the same.

If you would like an example or clarification as to why, please ask.

(Original post by SarahLeicester)
    No we don't.

We have a right to remain for 3 months, after the 3 month period is up, the host nation can ask you to leave if you can't show you can self fund and/or have employment.

The same 3 months/90 day rights exist in most countries in the world.
    ...which is still far better than having to get a visa to continue living there.

Which other countries, outside of the EU, have the same 3 months/90 day rights? To take two common examples, both the US and Australia require you have working visas before you can be employed there.

ReputationRep:
    Like others in this thread you've equated the right to live somewhere with the ability to apply to live somewhere. These things are not the same.

If you would like an example or clarification as to why, please ask.

...which is still far better than having to get a visa to continue living there.

Which other countries, outside of the EU, have the same 3 months/90 day rights? To take two common examples, both the US and Australia require you have working visas before you can be employed there.
    You didn't mention employment, you mention living. To answer your question though. Dubai.

Thanks for asking.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.