Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't think logic plays any part in this **** up to be honest... the only argument that can even feasibly stand up to any critique is the nationalistic waffle being spewed by this pin heads such as sovereignty blah blah blah..
    At any rate it boils down to prejudice and inflamed passions, little more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinWebster)
    remainers don't exist anymore. the debate is over.
    Bluto: Over? Did you say “over”? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? xxxx no!
    Otter: Germans?
    Boon: Forget it, he’s rolling.
    Bluto: And it ain’t over now. ‘Cause when the goin’ gets tough…
    [thinks hard]
    Bluto: the tough get goin’! Who’s with me? Let’s go!
    [runs out, alone; then returns]
    Bluto: What the xxxx happened to the Remain I used to know? Where’s the spirit? Where’s the guts, huh? This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you’re gonna let it be the worst. “Ooh, we’re afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble.” Well just kiss my xxx from now on! Not me! I’m not gonna take this. Davies, he’s a dead man! Johnston, dead! Gove…
    Otter: Dead! Bluto’s right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these xxxxxxxx. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody’s part.
    Bluto: We’re just the guys to do it.
    D-Day: Let’s do it.
    Bluto: Let’s do it!

Apologies National Lampoon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahLeicester)
    You didn't mention employment, you mention living. To answer your question though. Dubai.

Thanks for asking.
    In my first post on this thread I specified living, working and studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    The logic that Out voters will simply die off is flawed because the nation as a whole is aging and people change their views over time.

At any rate i voted for Brexit and i am far more informed than even most people on TSR, not least because i actually read extracts of the treasury and IMF and Treasury reports rather than parrot the media line.

I'm also curious.. when you say that young people have had a future stolen from them. What exactly have they lost?
    Good points. The morbid disrespectful idea that we can delay brexit until enough old people die off is flawed anyway. Across the rest of Europe (where fewer young people's minds are poisoned by state proganda system (sometimes called education)) the people who want to break out of the EU are overwhelming young.

It's only a matter of time before Italy leaves, then Denmark, the Netherlands, Czechia, Greece, Hungary, Poland and then the EU will have to decide to reform or continue to disintergrate.

ReputationRep:
    I'm neutral on the subject and I'm not old enough to vote any way but from what I've heard "muh sovereignty" isn't the only reason people supported Brexit.
    I can state some reasons as to why some one would vote to leave.

1.) Euro currency.
    The UK would be forced to switch to the Euro which is a bad idea. 28 countries sharing the same currency will only end in disaster for countries with low exports i.e. the UK. The only country I see benefiting from the Eurozone is Germany due to their strong export market.

2.) Freedom of movement.
    This means unlimited migrants to the UK every year. The UK is not allowed to restrict migrants from entering the country even if they have criminal records. The Roma gypsy population in the UK boomed from 40,000 to 250,000+ in a matter of years. This unlimited migration has caused untold strain on the NHS which is already on its last legs.

3.) British fishing inustry.
    Under EU law, territorial fishing waters don't exist. Everything is fair game to everyone. This has wrecked the eco-system of British waters as Spanish fishermen have over fished in the region which can be linked to the price rise of seafood.

4.) Unfair payment policy.
    The UK pays 14.1 billion a year and receives 7 billion a year back from the EU. Countries, like Poland for example, only pay 4 billion a year and receive 17.4 billion back from the EU. Surely everyone should contribute the same, based on a percentage of their economy?

5.) Common agricultural policy.
    This policy is a EU subsidy for the agriculture industry and takes up around 40% of the entire EU budget. Because the UK has a relatively small agriculture sector (approximately 0.6% of the economy compared to 3.6% in France for example) this means that CAP costs the UK rather than benefits it.

6.) EU bribery.
    The EU has paid several companies in the UK to move their companies to mainland Europe. For example;
    The EU paid Cadbury to move its Bristol factory to Poland, the EU paid Twinings to move a large proportion of its manufacturing to Eastern Europe, the British Army's Ajax fighting vehicle was built in Spain with EU grant using Swedish steel at request of EU to support jobs in Spain instead of Wales, The EU paid Hoover to move to Czech Republic etc.

7.) EU military.
    The EU is pushing for a EU military, made up of soldiers from 28 different countries, which is completely unnecessary for a economic bloc. Some think an EU army could be used to provoke Russia.

P.s. I'm not in favour of remaining nor exiting the EU. I'm just stating facts to counter the bias from OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calsmith12)
    The Roma gypsy population in the UK boomed from 40,000 to 250,000+ in a matter of years.
    UK estimates of its Roma population have historically been notoriously unreliable. I don't know where you're getting those stats from, but I've seen considerably higher estimates than 40,000 from decades ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    UK estimates of its Roma population have historically been notoriously unreliable. I don't know where you're getting those stats from, but I've seen considerably higher estimates than 40,000 from decades ago.
    How can you say the statistics are unreliable? What are you comparing them to that is more accurate?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WyvernFire)
    personally I think Brexit was a terrible mistake with most OUT voters misinformed at how 'all the foreigners' will go back to their countries and life will be like 1950's era England, which is, of course, ludicrous. also, many OUT voters were old people who, lets face it, will be stone dead in a few years, but young teens and young people are cheated out of their future by misinformed people who won't even be alive to see the changes.

what do you guys think?
    I think you're delusional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatter_2)
    How can you say the statistics are unreliable? What are you comparing them to that is more accurate?
    Statistics for other ethnicities. 2011 was the first time the UK census included any ethnic categories for gypsies and travellers at all - and even there it was specifically directed at Irish travellers, rather than Roma (who were supposed to simply tick the 'Other White' box). We simply don't have the hard data on Roma like we do for many other ethnic groups.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.