Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. I need help as to what I should wear to my graduation in early november. Would a dress with beads all over it be too much?
    I am an international student so not very familiar with the graduation dress code in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    For example, would this dress be considered ok (?): http://www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/produ...-beads-6489897

ReputationRep:
    Name:  TS62M09LNAV_Zoom_F_1.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  144.8 KB
    For example, something like this dress. Would it be considered okay to wear this or is it too much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 15121991)
    Name:  TS62M09LNAV_Zoom_F_1.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  144.8 KB
    For example, something like this dress. Would it be considered okay to wear this or is it too much?
    A lot of unis will actually have a dress code which you will find on their website. In my opinion, a plain white always looks best against the black gown. My uni specified White or black dress for women, and black trousers/white shirt or cultural formal wear (highland attire, etc.).

ReputationRep:
    A dark colour like this would be perfect. It will look good against a black gown and a coloured hood. (Anything brightly coloured or 'floral' looks a bit odd - like you were dressing up for a wedding, and it 'clashes' with the formal look of the gown). Lots of women also go for the 'white blouse/dark skirt or trousers look - and that it also good as again it 'goes' with a formal gown.

Just check that your Uni doesnt have a specific requirement - some (like Oxford etc) do.

PS. Take safety pins and hair grips - the collar/hood is designed for men to wear tucked under their ties, and you'll need safety pins to pin it to your dress (through to your bra if you can) otherwise the weight keeps pulling it up to your neck,and hair grips because caps/mortars never stay put on shiny washed hair! And avoid high heels (tricky walking up steps) or very new shoes (blisters/hurty heels are horrible when you want to feel elegant).

Enjoy your special day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RhyddleMeThis)
    A lot of unis will actually have a dress code which you will find on their website. In my opinion, a plain white always looks best against the black gown. My uni specified White or black dress for women, and black trousers/white shirt or cultural formal wear (highland attire, etc.).
    Thanks. It says on the uni website it's best to wear smartly.
    I just hear from a lot of people that they regret wearing "plain white" and wished they were a bit more adventurous.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  28C9568F-5F32-4E4E-B3E0-787FBADE1344.jpg.jpeg
Views: 213
Size:  16.2 KB I would suggest something like this. It's nice and simple. )
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Since you were looking for black: Name:  382F8CCA-F796-44DB-B054-DB67536DCDCC.jpg.jpeg
Views: 211
Size:  14.7 KB
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It is essential you wear comfortable shoes with a low heel as you are going to do a lot of standing around, and a lot of walking. Women who wear high heels look great for half an hour, but end up limping about on bare, bleeding feet. As for the dress, opt for plain navy or black with a white blouse and no neck furniture (i.e. clunky jewelry) as this mode of dress looks best beneath a gown. None of the above need be frumpy or boring. It's all about 'cut' and 'quality'. Remember, it's an academic occasion, not a club night. Enjoy your graduation; you've earned it.

ReputationRep:
    My uni didn't really have a dress code for graduation, some of my friends wore patterned or floral dresses and they looked lovely
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The only thing that looks very odd (IMO) is white/grey long sleeves sticking out underneath a black gown - eg picture below. If you want to wear a jacket/cardigan then stick to dark colours (black preferably because even navy looks a bit weird) - although normally graduations will be somewhere warm enough than the gown is all you'll need.
    some random laddies I found online with one in a grey suit jacket

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ascendxng)
    Name:  28C9568F-5F32-4E4E-B3E0-787FBADE1344.jpg.jpeg
Views: 213
Size:  16.2 KB I would suggest something like this. It's nice and simple. )
    You must be joking. Either that or you're a retailer trying to flog your wares. I can't thing of many dresses less appropriate for graduation with the possible exception of some floral creation by a bunch if hairdressers.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.