Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help with Application using an Access to Higher Education Diploma Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I'm sorry if I have posted this in the wrong area, this is my first time using The Student Room.

I am currently studying an Access to Higher Education Science Diploma and I had a few questions about applying for universities using my Diploma. I'm set on target to achieve distinctions in all of my assignments. I aim to get 15 distinction credits in Physics, 15 in Chemistry and 15 in Biology.

My first question is will my chances be limited or will universities look down on me or choose not to proceed with my application if they see I am studying an Access to Higher Education Diploma, as opposed to standard A-Levels? I did study A-Levels 2 years ago but I was not very good and was not allowed to study subjects which I initially opted for, leaving me with some subjects I didn't enjoy all that much, which I basically 'half-arsed'.

Secondly, what will be the accommodation situation if I was to get into one of my universities of choice? My main choice currently is the University of Manchester, my safer choice is Keele University which is more local to me so I wouldn't need accommodation there. However, if I was to secure a place at the University of Manchester, or a different university which I may choose to apply for, would I still be allowed accommodation in student halls if I was a bit older than other students? Admittedly I'm not much older, I would be 20 when I started my first year.

Thirdly, does anyone have a comprehensive list of all the open days for all universities in the country? I thought I might be able to find one and if there was any more universities I might be interested in, I could drive there or catch a train from my local station and pay a visit.

If you have any questions for me, that might help you answer mine, please feel free to ask me. Thank you.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conzie)
    Hello everyone,

I'm sorry if I have posted this in the wrong area, this is my first time using The Student Room.

I am currently studying an Access to Higher Education Science Diploma and I had a few questions about applying for universities using my Diploma. I'm set on target to achieve distinctions in all of my assignments. I aim to get 15 distinction credits in Physics, 15 in Chemistry and 15 in Biology.

My first question is will my chances be limited or will universities look down on me or choose not to proceed with my application if they see I am studying an Access to Higher Education Diploma, as opposed to standard A-Levels? I did study A-Levels 2 years ago but I was not very good and was not allowed to study subjects which I initially opted for, leaving me with some subjects I didn't enjoy all that much, which I basically 'half-arsed'.

Secondly, what will be the accommodation situation if I was to get into one of my universities of choice? My main choice currently is the University of Manchester, my safer choice is Keele University which is more local to me so I wouldn't need accommodation there. However, if I was to secure a place at the University of Manchester, or a different university which I may choose to apply for, would I still be allowed accommodation in student halls if I was a bit older than other students? Admittedly I'm not much older, I would be 20 when I started my first year.

Thirdly, does anyone have a comprehensive list of all the open days for all universities in the country? I thought I might be able to find one and if there was any more universities I might be interested in, I could drive there or catch a train from my local station and pay a visit.

If you have any questions for me, that might help you answer mine, please feel free to ask me. Thank you.
    You would need to check with each uni whether they would accept your qualifications. This might be on their website, or you might have to email them. Many unis will accept Access courses, but not all will and not for all subjects.

You'll be fine for accommodation.

TSR has an open day calendar but I'm not sure if all open days are listed or just the ones the unis have paid for.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    What is it you want to study at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ak84)
    Hi
    What is it you want to study at uni?
    Hi there

I wish to study Biomedical Sciences.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

Manchester say this regarding Access to HE on their entry requirements page for Biomedical Science:

'Overall 60 credits are required with 45 at level 3. The level 3 units must be made up of 15 credits in Biology with a Distinction grade, 15 credits in Chemistry with a Distinction grade and a further 15 credits with Distinction.

'If an applicant is only able to take 12 credits at Level 3 in Biology we would accept the remaining 3 credits at Level 3 with Distinction in Chemistry, Physics or Maths.'

So there is no reason for them to reject you solely on the basis of your qualifications.

You need to check the other unis in which you are interested, as advised above.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

Hi,
    How are you finding the course? Also what's the average age of everyone in your class? Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naimul787)
    Hi,
    How are you finding the course? Also what's the average age of everyone in your class? Good luck!
    Hi there

I’m finding it pretty good but it is a lot of work and requires a lot of time investment. I’d say the average age is about 30.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.