Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a bit of a dilemma. On the one hand, university is all about being independent, and living near the university is helpful. Plus all of my family and friends that have gone / are going lived at the university.
    On the other hand, I feel like I'd be way too homesick to be comfortable. Emotional ties to home are the main reason I want to stay, alongside the financial security.
    So I was wonderingonna what the opinions on both sides are, and how often do you usually have to come In? I'd had to take a train from Cambridge to Norwich if I stayed at home.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blood_Orange)
    I'm having a bit of a dilemma. On the one hand, university is all about being independent, and living near the university is helpful. Plus all of my family and friends that have gone / are going lived at the university.
    On the other hand, I feel like I'd be way too homesick to be comfortable. Emotional ties to home are the main reason I want to stay, alongside the financial security.
    So I was wonderingonna what the opinions on both sides are, and how often do you usually have to come In? I'd had to take a train from Cambridge to Norwich if I stayed at home.
    On train times alone, 1h20 seems a bit much to commute, so I shudder to think what time you'd be up if you had a 9 o'clock start.

May be worth contacting your uni specifically to get an idea of what a timetable looks like for your subject.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Kevin, that's almost 3 hrs travelling (which could be around 15hrs per week if you have classes everyday). It will be very tiring. You can easily travel home every weekend if you feel like you will be homesick. Have you calculated how much travel would be vs accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    usually you'l have about 3 days a week in first year but you'll realistically ned to be in 5 days a week so it'll cost you 32 pounds a day that's between £96 -£160 a week.

There are many many more benefit's to living out rather than just living near the university .These are:

Social Having looked on the web your commute would be about 2.5 hours thats quite a long time you won't be able to have any type of social life with a commute like that for instance if you join a social like football or climbing or what have you won't be able to join in the social events or training because you'll need to get the last train home if the training ends at say 9:00 you'll be home at 13:30 at the earliest socials are out because they will usually end at 02:30 so you'll miss the train home of course people say oh I'll just sleep on a mates floor ... um no there won't be room and you possibly won't know anyone well enough in first year anyway and what about if by some miracle you manage to go clubbing and get lucky you can't exactly say oh come back 2.5 hours to my parents house so we can have sex they'll just walk away from you also you won't be able to hug around after lectures because of the length of your commute. You'll be very locally for the first few months or even the first year.

Finance We have already established it'll cost you £32 a day return on a student rail card and between £96-£160 a week so how much are you really saving? it's actually not much. on top of that you need much if you in halls you can nip back and make yourself an egg and bacon sandwich or something if you in uni your looking at £5 extra day again the length of commute adds on this cost.that adds £25- on to your daily cost meaning if you commute you daily cost looks like this:
    train fare = £32
    Lunch = £5
    total = £37 a day

if you have late lectures you'll need to add on supper so it more like
    total = £42 a day.

For 3 days that costs you £126 a week.
    For 5 days that's £210
    Thats actually more than some halls.

Timetable Your timetable could be your undoing at uni 9 am lectures mean you'll need to get up before 6am which is super draining on top off that you have an 11 (those 11 hours were my Monday in first year) hour day at uni with only 1 hour off for lunch.and then another 2.5 hour train journey back home (your spending 5 hours a day travelling)

Academics travelling is tiering people with very long commutes like you fail out of uni I've actually seen it happen they come in with the best will in the world saying thins like I' can work on the train the problem wit the is at university level you can't do good work on the train GCSE you can mabey even at A level but uni you really can only do busy work. you'll also be so third you won't be able to concentrate in lecturer and over time your assignments will suffer and what about group projects it's not uncommon for people to need to work up until midnight or even later to get these buggers done.

Staying in halls is a much better idea and yes home sickness happen but it does pass in a couple of days so be prepared for it but just know you will get over it. enjoy uni.

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to stay at home look at universities closer to home, your commute is too long and will zap all energy out of you as well as making it very difficult to have any kind of social life on campus and if your friends are away at other universities too then it would be difficult to have a social life at home. Remember you are only actually at university for about half a year and that time goes quickly if you get yourself into a routine and get busy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.