Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

FP - same trust vs diff. trusts for F1 and F2 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm currently deciding between North West England and Yorkshire & Humber to put as my 1st choice for FPAS. One of the big differences between them is that you stay in the same trust for F1/2 in NW while you tend to move in Yorkshire.

I like the idea of staying in the same trust for 2 years but there's the question of whether I'll be losing out on anything if I do 2 years in a DGH (likely if I apply to NW). Any opinions? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I think there's no problem in doing 2 years in a DGH. However I think there are advantages to experiencing different hospitals / trusts during your foundation years.

I worked in a rural DGH in a reasonably affluent area for FY1, and then an innercity DGH in a very deprived area for FY2. As well as learning a lot from the respective populations that the different trusts cared for, I was quite surprised at how things can vary between hospitals in terms of guidelines, policies, general ways of working. I think I learnt a lot from moving to a new trust where I assumed that the way I had learnt things in my FY1 trust was the only way to do things, and to be told "no, we do it like this here" gave me a useful insight into the spectrum of different approaches to things.

There are also advantages to staying in the same place though - familiarity with people and systems, mainly. I would say pick what you prefer and don't worry about 2 years of DGH. They are generally great places and you will still learn loads, and often have a good deal more responsibility which can set you up well for subsequent years.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as above, there are pro's and cons to both, another being that you stay in the same place for 2 years you can take on longer term projects (audit/QI/teaching/research) but if you work in 2 places you get the benefit of working in 2 different organisations, and you never know which will be the one where you will meet a consultant who will open new doors an opportunities for you.
    In either case, as its not something you will have complete control over choosing, I'd try not to worry about it, for most it is a brilliant year wherever you end up. Focus on preparing yourself for F1 so you can make the most of the year!

ReputationRep:
    Lancs Teaching Hospitals is based across two sites. A big teaching hospital in Preston and a smaller DGH (I think it's classed as one - not too up to speed with these things yet) in Chorley (about 30mins from each other in good traffic). Might be worth a consideration if you're looking at NW England. Not far from Liverpool, Manchester and Lake District as well which is good.

ReputationRep:
    DGH > teaching hospital from a learning perspective. As an FY1/SHO anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for your input!
    I've been tearing my hair out second-guessing my choices these past few days but it's great getting re-assurances that at the end of the day, the differences wouldn't be massive.

(Original post by Marathi)
    Lancs Teaching Hospitals is based across two sites. A big teaching hospital in Preston and a smaller DGH (I think it's classed as one - not too up to speed with these things yet) in Chorley (about 30mins from each other in good traffic). Might be worth a consideration if you're looking at NW England. Not far from Liverpool, Manchester and Lake District as well which is good.
    I like the rotations there and was considering it but sadly I don't own a car. Public transport between the hospitals don't seem straightforward either. There seems to be a shuttle mini bus that runs between both sites but the timings may not be adequate. Idk, I'm probably thinking too far ahead now lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.