Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really want to study a language at univeristy. I don't have ANY language qualifications at all, is there any way I can still go? They ALL ask for at least a Nat 5/GCSE in any language. Would unis ever accept experience instead? Like if I spent a year in that country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by December126)
    I really want to study a language at univeristy. I don't have ANY language qualifications at all, is there any way I can still go? They ALL ask for at least a Nat 5/GCSE in any language. Would unis ever accept experience instead? Like if I spent a year in that country?
    Email them and ask. Likelihood is that you need evidence of your language ability even if you lived abroad. Also look at taking official language exams like the DELE/SIELE for Spanish, for example. For GCSE level you'd be looking at A2/B1 level maybe.

Even when universities teach you from scratch, you need to show evidence of language ability, including qualifications in a language you don't intend on studying.

[Finalist doing languages at uni having done post A-Level French and Spanish from scratch].

ReputationRep:
    If you're set on a straight modern languages course then you might find difficulty. Look for perhaps an international relations course with modern languages, such as the one available at Essex university. BBB is required and they teach languages from scratch. It is rated as having one of the best language departments in the world and it ranks high on the university league table.

If you don't have any qualifications but can speak a language to a good degree, you'll still need proof.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paralove)
    Email them and ask. Likelihood is that you need evidence of your language ability even if you lived abroad. Also look at taking official language exams like the DELE/SIELE for Spanish, for example. For GCSE level you'd be looking at A2/B1 level maybe.

Even when universities teach you from scratch, you need to show evidence of language ability, including qualifications in a language you don't intend on studying.

[Finalist doing languages at uni having done post A-Level French and Spanish from scratch].
    I've emailed Edinburgh Uni but they still haven't emailed back. I have looked into that kind of thing, I think maybe I'll go to Spain for a while, work, maybe attend a language school even for just 2 weeks since it's expensive then come back and sit the exam.

ReputationRep:
    I've emailed Edinburgh Uni but they still haven't emailed back. I have looked into that kind of thing, I think maybe I'll go to Spain for a while, work, maybe attend a language school even for just 2 weeks since it's expensive then come back and sit the exam.
    Don't underestimate language study. It's all well to say you'll move somewhere and that, but you will have to make a considerable effort in order to pick up the language, especially if you're in any of the big cities where you wouldn't really need it to get by. If you're considering moving for a longer period (like a gap year), Spanish cities each have an escuela oficial de idiomas where you can enrol on a Spanish course in evening classes, usually 4-5 hours per week. These fill up v fast by the end of September each year though in bigger cities so you'd have to be planned and prepped to sign up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paralove)
    Don't underestimate language study. It's all well to say you'll move somewhere and that, but you will have to make a considerable effort in order to pick up the language, especially if you're in any of the big cities where you wouldn't really need it to get by. If you're considering moving for a longer period (like a gap year), Spanish cities each have an escuela oficial de idiomas where you can enrol on a Spanish course in evening classes, usually 4-5 hours per week. These fill up v fast by the end of September each year though in bigger cities so you'd have to be planned and prepped to sign up.
    I do have experience in language learning, I have just never "formally" studied eg I used to work in a restaurant where like 90% of the waiters were Spanish, I bought a text book and studied it A LOT and I'd speak Spanish constantly at work. I've always had a passion for languages, I just didn't like the ones offered at school and didn't realise during my school years that I wanted to do it at university. I have travelled quite a lot and I realise how tough it can be being in a non-English speaking place.
    But yeah I'd definitely like to do that! It'd be great if I could get a good grade and a qualification accepted by UK universities. I'll contact some now and see which qualifications would be accepted here
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the language and the university. I got into Edinburgh to study a language and I only had a GCSE in an unrelated a language, and I know other people have gone on to study languages at uni without any linguistic qualifications at all. As a general rule, the more niche the language, the better your chances.

December126 What language do you want to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    It depends on the language and the university. I got into Edinburgh to study a language and I only had a GCSE in an unrelated a language, and I know other people have gone on to study languages at uni without any linguistic qualifications at all. As a general rule, the more niche the language, the better your chances.

December126 What language do you want to study?
    Russian (I guess you saw my other question though after this). Edinburgh Univeristy asks for at least an A at a GCSE in any language. I am looking into doing an IGCSE in Spanish though.
    REALLY?? What unis and languages did they study?
    I have noticed Glasgow Uni accepts humanities subjects instead.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Russian (I guess you saw my other question though after this). Edinburgh Univeristy asks for at least an A at a GCSE in any language. I am looking into doing an IGCSE in Spanish though.
    REALLY?? What unis and languages did they study?
    I have noticed Glasgow Uni accepts humanities subjects instead.
    Um... that I can remember, Russian/Scandinavian languages/Italian at UCL, Korean/Chinese at SOAS and German at Aberdeen. I'm sure there are others, it's just a matter of doing research. However, you will have more options if you do some kind of language (universities like to see that you have experience in language learning). It doesn't need to be a GCSE or A level. There are some free distance learning courses here, for example. Or you could an Open Uni language learning module.

ReputationRep:
    For Russian look at Leeds Uni, Glasgow, Sheffield, Nottingham - Leeds is more explicit and have a course for it whereas the others kind of mention it off hand via ''beginners path''

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.