Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What's the most efficient way to get to Hatfield from Southwest London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A. M97)
    What's the most efficient way to get to Hatfield from Southwest London?
    Fellow south west Londoner lol😂 Which part if I may ask?

Personally, it has to be the train imo, there's good links from Kings Cross into Hatfield which takes less than 25 minutes, and the station is just a 10 min journey from the main campus, College lane.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for train too! I used to live that way a long while ago and it was most efficient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David Trebus)
    I'd go for train too! I used to live that way a long while ago and it was most efficient.
    If on the Wimbledon - Sutton Thameslink loop, you can travel direct or with one easy same/ adjacent platform change to a semi-fast St. Albans- Luton train at the likes of Blackfriars and then bus from St. Albans (UNO 601, 602, 653, Arriva 300/301, 724 Greenline) although I`d plumb for Hatfield as the bus journey is as pointed out, shorter.

Note: if travelling via St Albans, the 601 calls at de Hav only, 653 is the most indirect service going via the St Albans Marshalswick estates first and the Arriva 300/01 service stops very close to de Hav but not The Forum, nearest stop being The Galleria about eight mins walk away.

For Hatfield, If using the Victoria/ Piccadilly Line tube I would suggest possibly change at Finsbury Park : note-see below - where it is a shorter interconnecting walk (unless you know the short cut at K X) from under to overground train, and also has the added advantage of both the semi-fast trains from K X stopping there ( K X, Fin. Pk, Potters Bar, Hatfield ) and the all stations trains from Moorgate to Welwyn Garden City , thirty mins journey time F.Pk.- Hatfield.

Another alternative would be to alight the underground (Victoria Line) at Highbury & Islington and pick up the all stations train from Moorgate there, as the interchange is literally seconds with adjacent platforms.between the under and overground train, and then, if you don`t fancy a slow ride through the North London heights, change to a semi-fast at Fin Pk. Again depending on where in SW London you are, the North London overground from Richmond- West Hampstead -Highbury may be of use. This line was on the cards to be closed as part of the `60`s rail cuts by the way, now virtually a victim of its own success.

Don`t forget as from May next year the train services at Hatfield will change a lot with the commencement of phase one of the new direct cross London services , meaning it possible to use the overground train directly through London as the St. Albans - Brighton line does now.

Plenty of info.online: either look at my previous articles to access some of these or Google in yourself. Also take a look at the respective train/bus timetables to see which option is best for you.

UNO bus times/info on www.unobus.info : Arriva on www.arrivabus.co.uk/herts-and-essex/ : and all Hertfordshire travel info on www.intalink.org.uk/ . Centrebus also operate in Hatfield (route 366 Luton - Welwyn Garden City - Hatfield Station & town then Hilltop in South Hatfield) : www.centrebus.com

With regard to Oyster, as mentioned previously this can only currently be used to Hadley Wood on the K x line, Elstree & Borehamwood on the St Pancras- St Albans Thameslink line, but since TfL have taken over the Hertford East - London Liverpool St. route they are valid all the way on Abellio services to Hertford East (not North) station, the latter being on the K X- Alexandra Palace- Cuffley- Stevenage loop. They are no longer valid on UNO London services ( 614/44, 615).

Since writing the above, I heard on the station announcements at Stevenage today that the short cut spiral staircase from under to overground at Finsbury Park Station is under repair until November, so it may be best to use King`s Cross in the interim or better still Highbury & Islington.

By the way I`m not a fellow SW Londoner : Sarf East London and the South Coast , exiled in Hertfordshire for most of my adult life!

Hope this helps. Comments welcome.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.