Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are your experiences with Dyslexia? Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hi there guys. In case you didn't already know, this week is Dyslexia Awareness Week and we have some Dyslexia themed threads going on in the Disabled Students Forum.

While we're on the subject of dyslexia, I would love to hear some other people's experiences with it (or other learning difficulties). So... what are your experiences? Do you have dyslexia? Do you know somebody who does? Do you think there's enough knowledge out there? Do you have an funny stories to tell?

Let's get talking! :blah:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I guess I should probably share my story since I'm asking everybody else to...
    I was diagnosed with Dyslexia and ADD just before I started uni. I was a smart enough kid at secondary school despite having some issues at junior. I always had some quirks and challenges, but nothing big enough to get me noticed. It's only when it came to college and there was a lot more emphasis on reading and independent work that I realised I might have an issue. I happened to be seeing a psych at the tie for MH issues so I brought it up with them and they helped me sort out getting an assessment.

I've never had any particularly good or bad experiences with other people, but I did once see a stunningly ignorant doctor. I made an off hand comment that I don't read much because of my dyslexia and they said "dyslexia is difficulty writing, not reading". I was pretty stunned and pointed out that I was diagnosed based largely on my difficulty reading so I was pretty sure it was that too. She did apologise. I think I was probably visually annoyed at that point so good call.

I think it helps to not see things like this as a total disadvantage. I've had enough issues by now to have learned a negative attitude is just going to make you feel negative. I try to look for how my LDs make me who I am and how they might benefit me (I think it makes me a bit more open minded which is something I see as a big plus). I also end up having a good laugh every now and then about what crazy mistakes my brain makes.

Aaand that's me. I'm a great believer in spreading understanding so any questions you might have feel free to ask me. We have an AMA thread for dyslexia over in the DS forum so feel free to take a look in there and get questioning.

Now it's your turn!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    #PositiveDyslexia2017
    :party:
    We've got a number of threads running here on TSR this week:

Click here to Ask a dyslexic student anything.

We've prepared information about how to spot dyslexia

How to get the dyslexia support you deserve!!

Coming soon:

BIG DEBATE: Is dyslexia a disability?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    My old college were obsessed with this idea that I probably have it because an online screening tests says so. You know, those online tests that actually prove very little. I reluctantly did the proper test (which I didn't pay for - they did) and it was confirmed what I knew all along - I don't have it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE
    How to get the dyslexia support you deserve!!

Is now live:woo:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.