Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Low IB Predicted but decent UKCAT? Any chance of medicine? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So my IB predicted falls short of a lot of uni's required predicted grades but my UKCAT score is 703. Do I still have a chance of receiving an offer? Like say I apply to a UKCAT heavy uni like Newcastle, will they overlook my slightly low IB predicted?

ReputationRep:
    No, medicine is a highly competitive course. Every medical school will weed out applicants who have not met entry requirements first and they can do that because of the massive amounts of people applying. Be sure to meet the requirement of the university you are applying for, or you will likely get rejected pre-interview. You can still get offers if you apply strategically, with that amazing ukcat score. If you don't mind me asking, what is your predicted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneMists)
    No, medicine is a highly competitive course. Every medical school will weed out applicants who have not met entry requirements first and they can do that because of the massive amounts of people applying. Be sure to meet the requirement of the university you are applying for, or you will likely get rejected pre-interview. You can still get offers if you apply strategically, with that amazing ukcat score. If you don't mind me asking, what is your predicted?
    33 😢

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redred0303)
    33 😢
    Ok, I'm going to be harsh. You have to understand that many people applying to medicine meet the entry requirement and in fact, most people go beyond the entry requirements. Did some research for you, and it seems like only Birmingham would accept your predicted of 33 (Entry Requirement 32, HL 7,6,6). There are a few options though:
    1. Try to convince your teachers to predict you higher. Explain to them that you need a higher predicted grade to get offers for medicine.
    2. Wait and apply with your achieved grades and take a gap year to strengthen your application.
    That is what I think. Hope this helps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.