Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Night Care Assistant Duties ~ Urgent Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm a night care assistant at a care home and I'm worried about the cleaning responsibilities I've been given. Should night care assistants be cleaning toilets, bathrooms, doing laundry, washing utensils (plates, cups, drinking glasses) by hand/ dishwasher, setting tables, emptying large bins, hoovering and moping?

These are all duties that they claim we have to do as night care assistant but I don't believe that's right and they are frankly exploiting us into believing so. I have tried to find any rights, regulations and laws to support what I believe but have found none showing where the line should be drawn.

Please help!!

ReputationRep:
    When I worked nights we were expected to load/unload dishwasher, make sure kitchen was clean and tidy, peel veg for the next day and make a start on preparing the morning breakfasts (only pouring cereals into bowls, getting out special trays ect.) We also finished folding laundry if needed. We didn't mop and hoover, we would sweep if needed, however we did have dedicated cleaning staff on during the day.

It can be quite slow during night shifts so I didn't mind doing the extra duties.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.