Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

personal statement Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is more of a question for natural sciences at Cambridge, but would it be seen as strange if I focused on maths and physics in my personal statement? Basically would that cause question for why I'm applying to natural sciences rather than maths with physics? I am planning on mentioning my love of chemistry in the SAQ but from my personal statement it's probably apparent that I'm applying for maths and physics courses at other unis.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black1blade)
    This is more of a question for natural sciences at Cambridge, but would it be seen as strange if I focused on maths and physics in my personal statement? Basically would that cause question for why I'm applying to natural sciences rather than maths with physics? I am planning on mentioning my love of chemistry in the SAQ but from my personal statement it's probably apparent that I'm applying for maths and physics courses at other unis.
    Natural sciences covers maths and physics and Cambridge knows that you will be applying to other unis to slightly different courses (not many unis offer natural sciences the same way Cambridge does) so you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Natural sciences covers maths and physics and Cambridge knows that you will be applying to other unis to slightly different courses (not many unis offer natural sciences the same way Cambridge does) so you'll be fine.
    Yeah I know that there is maths in the natural science degree but it's less like uni maths and more like a-level continued as in it's focused on methods and techniques and topics that are of particular use in the sciences. To be fair I have mentioned how a through understanding of maths is important for physics rather than spend ages going on about how I love pure and applied maths.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know that there is maths in the natural science degree but it's less like uni maths and more like a-level continued as in it's focused on methods and techniques and topics that are of particular use in the sciences. To be fair I have mentioned how a through understanding of maths is important for physics rather than spend ages going on about how I love pure and applied maths.
    Yes by all means talk about applications of maths to science but I wouldn't underestimate the level and go in thinking that it's like A level maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Yes by all means talk about applications of maths to science but I wouldn't underestimate the level and go in thinking that it's like A level maths.
    Oh yeah of course it's far beyond a-level but in terms of question style and content it's more like a-level than the maths modules in a maths degree seem to be.

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth talking about academic attitude and achievements in the context of being proud to achieve them? Murray Edwards Admissions ?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth talking about academic attitude and achievements in the context of being proud to achieve them? Murray Edwards Admissions ?
    Absolutely, if you hide your achievements under a bushel there's no way we can know about them. Being proud of what you have achieved is a natural and right thing to feel - it's a long way from boasting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions)
    Absolutely, if you hide your achievements under a bushel there's no way we can know about them. Being proud of what you have achieved is a natural and right thing to feel - it's a long way from boasting.
    Thank you and in regards to my initial question, it wouldn't be a problem mentioning wanting to study a course with a significant maths component for natural sciences right?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.