The Student Room Group

Transferring universities now?

I'd been debating switching course for months before they started. I went with something practical rather than something I'm passionate about (stupidly). I rang my university today about transferring courses and they wouldn't allow it. I have the grades and everything but they just wouldn't allow a transfer to this particular area of study.

I can't continue on this course and waste a year doing something I'm not passionate about while wasting money, I can't drop out because I have nowhere to live so someone suggested transferring to a different university close by. I rang the Uni and they said there are places on the course but I have to drop out of the Uni I'm at now and then they can process my application. Is there no way a transfer can work without dropping out completely then reapplying?
Original post by Jamie. D
I'd been debating switching course for months before they started. I went with something practical rather than something I'm passionate about (stupidly). I rang my university today about transferring courses and they wouldn't allow it. I have the grades and everything but they just wouldn't allow a transfer to this particular area of study.

I can't continue on this course and waste a year doing something I'm not passionate about while wasting money, I can't drop out because I have nowhere to live so someone suggested transferring to a different university close by. I rang the Uni and they said there are places on the course but I have to drop out of the Uni I'm at now and then they can process my application. Is there no way a transfer can work without dropping out completely then reapplying?

I think you are failing to see the practical issues and why they need you to leave.

1. You are a student at Uni A and as far as Uni B are concerned you are Uni A's student.

2. More importantly any finance belongs to Uni A.

3. they wont want to deal with you until you disentangle yourself from Uni A and are a serious option because they could end up wasting their time.

4. Uni B will wnat to know you have sufficient fiance to pay for the course. this means Uni A giving up their claim and preferably taking nothing from the course you have already attended, even if its just one day.

My advice is:

1. Find out the formal withdrawal procedure and how long it will take.
2. If Uni A will charge you any fees. It can be as much as 50% for first term.
3. If they intend to charge you then you need to talk to sfe about how these situations are resolved.
4. Talk to uni B about how quickly an application can be processed one you have left.
5. Check wit accommodation how many days// weeks grace you can get once you withdraw.
6. talk to Uni B about accommodation or find new private lodgings.
7. Its likely you will also remain liable for the rent for uni A accommodation till you find a replacement.

Up to you to sort it all out and then being prepared so it goes smoothly..

Possible but get busy and go and see student advisor and or welfare.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending