Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been studying for a while and decided I would put myself down for the Edexcel 2018 Japanese exam (GCSE level) for the price of a small fortune. Anyone else who's doing or has done the exam have any tips for what I should specifically lean or any language learning tips in general?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sambeaz6)
    I have been studying for a while and decided I would put myself down for the Edexcel 2018 Japanese exam (GCSE level) for the price of a small fortune. Anyone else who's doing or has done the exam have any tips for what I should specifically lean or any language learning tips in general?
    i did gcse Japanese, got an A*(full mark in speaking exam)
    if you want to know how i got a full mark in the speaking exam, just sound and pronounce word like a Japanese person(more important then the content of what you are speaking about) hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I did Japanese GCSE too, I got full marks in the listening and speaking sections and almost full marks in the reading and writing parts. In the speaking, try and expand on the question given as much as humanly possible. For example, if the examiner asks, ‘what is your favourite hobby?’, you can say, My favourite hobby is music. I play violin and viola and have been playing them for 12 years. I love playing them because .... I play in orchestras every Thursday and I really enjoy it because ...... Something along those lines, basically take the initiative in exams and show the examiner as many grammatical structures and phrases as possible.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I did it last year and managed to get full UMS I'm currently now doing it for A-level

Tips:
    Try and have a mental list of all the grammar on the specification and make sure you add every single type of grammar into your writing (overall in the short and long writings, so if you didn't use any てform in long writing use it once in the short writing.)
    Learn your kanji, the more kanji you can write the more impressive it is. I also learnt kanji that weren't on the specification. You also need kanji for the reading paper so make sure you know both the onyomi and the kunyomi readings.
    Try and aim for accuracy. There isn't actually that much grammar to learn for GCSE so make sure you try your best to get it perfect. There's a site called lang-8.com where you can write entries in Japanese and have them corrected by natives there.
    Learn vocabulary using anki or quizlet. Really important, vocabulary will really help you with your reading and listening.
    Do lots of past papers. This will help you learn new common words which will be essential in getting you the top marks.

Ask me if you have any other questions and good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sambeaz6)
    how much was it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.