Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got a single A or A* at GCSE, am I still able to make a competitive application for Oxford? If not will I be able to get into Oxford if I actually meet the entry requirements with my A level results(AAA) regardless of what I got in my GCSEs?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    This has been a very common question today - please refer to this for more info:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post73993846

For you specifically: have you heard about the LMH Oxford Foundation Year? Not sure if any extenuating circumstances were involved, but this has been designed for students who haven't quite realised their potential because of socio-economic circumstances. They get a whole year of bridging and it's fully funded. Grades are mitigated. Really worth looking at:
    http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/prospective-...-year-students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LMH OXFORD)
    This has been a very common question today - please refer to this for more info:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post73993846

For you specifically: have you heard about the LMH Oxford Foundation Year? Not sure if any extenuating circumstances were involved, but this has been designed for students who haven't quite realised their potential because of socio-economic circumstances. They get a whole year of bridging and it's fully funded. Grades are mitigated. Really worth looking at:
    http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/prospective-...-year-students
    I do met all the eligibility criteria, have attended state school all my life, my househould income is definitively below £40,000 and do come from an area where most people just have terrible education. But will the degree you get from the foundation year be of same value as a degree from a normal Oxford student(A student who achieved the typical AAA offer)?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by The RAR)
    I do met all the eligibility criteria, have attended state school all my life, my househould income is definitively below £40,000 and do come from an area where most people just have terrible education. But will the degree you get from the foundation year be of same value as a degree from a normal Oxford student(A student who achieved the typical AAA offer)?
    Just pasting some info here for you - the idea of the year is that it bridges a gap and then hopefully you progress to an undergraduate degree at Oxford (so it's not an equivalent of the degree) - 7 of the first cohort of 10 are now studying here. And their degree will hold the same value as any other oxford student

The Foundation Year is a free and fully funded, year-long course designed to help students from low socio-economic backgrounds reach their potential. As a student on the Foundation Year you will live and study at Lady Margaret Hall, a college of the University of Oxford. Over the academic year, you will receive tuition in your chosen subject and in three core subjects. Our aim is that the Foundation Year students will progress to an undergraduate degree at Oxford University.

Lowered grade requirements:
    We recognise that achievement at GCSE and A Level is not necessarily an indicator of academic potential, and so we accept students onto the Foundation Year with grades that are lower than the traditional Oxford offer (e.g. BBB instead of AAA). Individual subject requirements can be checked on the subject page.

Part of LMH college and Oxford University:
    Students on the Foundation Year are encouraged to engage with the wider body of Oxford University students and have full use of the Oxford University libraries, sports and social clubs.

ReputationRep:
    Just pasting some info here for you - the idea of the year is that it bridges a gap and then hopefully you progress to an undergraduate degree at Oxford (so it's not an equivalent of the degree) - 7 of the first cohort of 10 are now studying here. And their degree will hold the same value as any other oxford student
    Are the other three studying elsewhere?

What are the criteria to be accepted into a full undergraduate degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Are the other three studying elsewhere?

What are the criteria to be accepted into a full undergraduate degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes - they are studying at other Russell Group Universities (one at LSE for example)

You would need to apply to Oxford through UCAS during The Foundation Year, but
    we would be with you throughtout this process and offer support. You would also need to pass the course itself (e.g. performing at a specific level, excellent attendance/participation etc.)

I would really recommend getting in touch to discuss the specifics, either over phone or by email: [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    Yes - they are studying at other Russell Group Universities (one at LSE for example)

You would need to apply to Oxford through UCAS during The Foundation Year, but
    we would be with you throughtout this process and offer support. You would also need to pass the course itself (e.g. performing at a specific level, excellent attendance/participation etc.)

I would really recommend getting in touch to discuss the specifics, either over phone or by email: [email protected]

Hello - I have a few questions about this .

I read that you don't lose any one of your UCAS options. Does that mean that you could apply for a different course for the LMH foundation year than your UCAS applied course?

Also, does only LMH do it? I don't see economics so I presume no college at Oxford offers that subject for a foundation year?

Thanks in advance.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Snowflake3849384)
    Hello - I have a few questions about this .

I read that you don't lose any one of your UCAS options. Does that mean that you could apply for a different course for the LMH foundation year than your UCAS applied course?

Also, does only LMH do it? I don't see economics so I presume no college at Oxford offers that subject for a foundation year?

Thanks in advance.
    Hello!

Yes, it runs parallel to UCAS so you could apply to a seperate subject in theory

LMH is the only Oxbridge college to offer it at the minute - and I'm afraid economics isn't on the list of courses at the moment. Is this the only subject you were interested in?

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Yes, it runs parallel to UCAS so you could apply to a seperate subject in theory

LMH is the only Oxbridge college to offer it at the minute - and I'm afraid economics isn't on the list of courses at the moment. Is this the only subject you were interested in?
    Thank you for the response!

I'm basically torn between economics and studying something chemistry-related (I haven't sent my UCAS application yet).

I've been writing an Economics personal statement and so it's nice to know that I could apply for a different course too. Would there be any chance to study economics foundation at LMH, despite not being offered it?

Also, is there a disadvantage for not studying Biology if you want to apply for Biochemistry? I enjoyed the small biology aspects of the chemistry, and massively enjoyed chemistry also - but I don't have Biology unfortunetely.

Psycology also peaks my interest, also.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.