Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggling to manage time between Sixth Form and working. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I'm a Year 13 student and I'm taking 3 A-Levels whilst working 10 hours a week. I know 10 hours will seem like hardly anything compared to what some people work, but I'm really struggling to manage my time and was looking for some advice.

I do three shifts on weekdays, meaning I have my weekends free. However, I'm currently having to spend basically all day Sat and Sun on my coursework (I've got deadlines within a month for two of my subjects - 4,000 word research projects) which means I've got to use the weekdays to get all of my other homework done plus revision. Trying to cram this in to the two days I'm not working is really difficult.

I'm applying for Oxford so I've got my entrance exam in November and then I have mocks in January. I obviously need to perform really, really well in both of these and school in general and I feel like working is compromising this.

I don't know whether I need to quit my job or not - and if I do, whether to do so before the exam, the mocks or my real exams. Or whether I can get some advice as to how other people have managed their time successfully. I don't think I can cut down my hours - I can either stay or leave.

TLDR; gonna fail my a levels if I keep working - how can I manage my time better or should I quit...and when?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This is a common issue for students studying A Levels. From my own experience, I found it best to work part time until around February/March time and then quit and study hard. It might be different for you because of your additional workload and Oxford aspirations.

Honestly, I would recommend that you either cut your hours or, if you can cope without it - quit your job. Other options include evaluating your schedule to see when you're wasting time and how you could use that time more effectively, but you need to ensure that you keep a healthy work-life balance and if you feel that you're struggling to do that while achieving your goals, you might be best off if you make some sacrifices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    Hiya,

I'm a Year 13 student and I'm taking 3 A-Levels whilst working 10 hours a week. I know 10 hours will seem like hardly anything compared to what some people work, but I'm really struggling to manage my time and was looking for some advice.

I do three shifts on weekdays, meaning I have my weekends free. However, I'm currently having to spend basically all day Sat and Sun on my coursework (I've got deadlines within a month for two of my subjects - 4,000 word research projects) which means I've got to use the weekdays to get all of my other homework done plus revision. Trying to cram this in to the two days I'm not working is really difficult.

I'm applying for Oxford so I've got my entrance exam in November and then I have mocks in January. I obviously need to perform really, really well in both of these and school in general and I feel like working is compromising this.

I don't know whether I need to quit my job or not - and if I do, whether to do so before the exam, the mocks or my real exams. Or whether I can get some advice as to how other people have managed their time successfully. I don't think I can cut down my hours - I can either stay or leave.

TLDR; gonna fail my a levels if I keep working - how can I manage my time better or should I quit...and when?
    Hey there,

I'd suggest reviewing all of your coursework and then implementing prioritising and executing. Is there a subject you can afford to work less on? Could you communicate with your tutor to give you less homework (since you study so much already?). Another option is from my own personal experience of working a full-time day job while working towards starting a business. I prefer to wake up really early (around 5) and do 2 hours business work before going into work before coming home and doing a little bit more business work before going to bed early. Maybe you'd benefit from applying such a method? Its really just about priortising what you need to be doing and what could be dropped in order to do it. I hope this helps.

Regards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    Hiya,

It sounds like you should quit your job. I worked 8 hours a week during GCSE and year 12 and I was fine. Then I changed jobs and only worked 4 hours a week during year 13. They pressured me for overtime so that got a bit stressful but I felt like I could keep going.

If I was you I would quit, education is far more important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    Hiya,

I literally just quit my part time job in retail today and even though I'm only in year 12 (and worked 12 hours a week on weekends) I got very tired very quick;y. I basically worked for 20 consecutive days of school or work without any days off at all. It wasn't at all healthy. In fact I checked today on the website for gov.uk, it's actually illegal to have an under 18 work more than 12 hours a weekend during term time. So I could probably get my old crap bosses' assess in some trouble for illegally labouring children.

Best feeling was to quit it. Now I can just chill and sleep on the weekend. Quit your job while you still have time to do well in your A Levels. **** a job its not important.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.