Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Describe the difference between the plum pudding model of the atom and the nuclear model of the atom.

Why the new evidence from the scattering experiment led to a change in the atomic mode

ReputationRep:
    What have you done? This isn't Google.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    What have you done? This isn't Google.
    I know aha >.<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry.Y)
    Describe the difference between the plum pudding model of the atom and the nuclear model of the atom.

Why the new evidence from the scattering experiment led to a change in the atomic mode
    Have a read of my post which summarises what you need to know about development of the atomic model (at GCSE level).
    http://gcsechemistrytuition.co.uk/hi...atomic-theory/

ReputationRep:
    I need to register?

ReputationRep:
    plum pudding is a theory that electrons exist in a 'sea of positive charge', this was fake because in the alpha scattering experiment they should only deflect in small angles as the positive alpha particles will only get repelled slightly from the positive charge but what really went down is most of them passed through the foil (most of atom is empty space) and some where deflected at large angles giving rise to the theory that there was a small positive charge and had most of its mass concentrated there (as alpha particles where deflected by something of mass greater than their own) so now we have a nucleus w neutrons (after later discovery) and protons with electrons orbiting. i hope this makes sense ask any questions if needed x

ReputationRep:
    Try to pick out common differences like where the mass is concentrated on both of these models, talk about the positive charges and where they can be found in the models, talk about the electrons etc. For example one point you can write is in the nuclear model the mass is concentrated in the nucleus whereas in the plum pudding model mass is evenly distributed

ReputationRep:
    I need to register?
    Yes. It is free and very simple to register.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its very hard. You can just google this stuff and you will find what you are looking for. Google is your best friend. ABUSE IT.

ReputationRep:
    1)
    (i) Describe the reactions of the first three alkali metals with oxygen, chlorine and water.
    (ii) Describe the nature of the compounds formed when chlorine, bromine and iodine react with metals and non-metals.

2)
    i) Explain how properties of the elements in Group 1 depend on the outer shell of electrons of the atoms
    ii) Explain how properties of the elements in Group 0 depend on the outer shell of electrons of the atoms
    iii) Explain how properties of the elements in Group 7 depend on the outer shell of electrons of the atoms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y.u.mad.bro?)
    I don't think its very hard. You can just google this stuff and you will find what you are looking for. Google is your best friend. ABUSE IT.
    Sometimes you wont get the suitable answer

ReputationRep:
    1)
    (i) Describe the reactions of the first three alkali metals with oxygen, chlorine and water.
    (ii) Describe the nature of the compounds formed when chlorine, bromine and iodine react with metals and non-metals.

2)
    i) Explain how properties of the elements in Group 1 depend on the outer shell of electrons of the atoms
    ii) Explain how properties of the elements in Group 0 depend on the outer shell of electrons of the atoms
    iii) Explain how properties of the elements in Group 7 depend on the outer shell of electrons of the atoms
    Dont you have a revision guide to help you?
    Just know the reactivity of the alkali metals increases going down the group. For example when lithium reacts with chlorine they produce lithium chloride and these metal chlorides all dissolve in water to form colourless solutions. If the reactivity of the alkali metals increases down the group what do you think will happen with sodium and potassium?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocolate...s)
    Dont you have a revision guide to help you?
    Just know the reactivity of the alkali metals increases going down the group. For example when lithium reacts with chlorine they produce lithium chloride and these metal chlorides all dissolve in water to form colourless solutions. If the reactivity of the alkali metals increases down the group what do you think will happen with sodium and potassium?
    Thanks for explaining, maybe i just didn't know what the questions mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kibap)
    plum pudding is a theory that electrons exist in a 'sea of positive charge', this was fake because in the alpha scattering experiment they should only deflect in small angles as the positive alpha particles will only get repelled slightly from the positive charge but what really went down is most of them passed through the foil (most of atom is empty space) and some where deflected at large angles giving rise to the theory that there was a small positive charge and had most of its mass concentrated there (as alpha particles where deflected by something of mass greater than their own) so now we have a nucleus w neutrons (after later discovery) and protons with electrons orbiting. i hope this makes sense ask any questions if needed x
    Thanks for explaining, i really appreciated it even though I didn't understand only quite a little bit of it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for explaining, maybe i just didn't know what the questions mean
    Homework is to show that you have understood the topic. If you dont have one already buy revision guides like the cgp/collin/oxford ones.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.