Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm a night care assistant at a care home and I'm worried about the cleaning responsibilities I've been given. Should night care assistants be cleaning toilets, bathrooms, doing laundry, washing utensils (plates, cups, drinking glasses) by hand/ dishwasher, setting tables, emptying large bins, hoovering and moping?

These are all duties that they claim we have to do as night care assistant but I don't believe that's right and they are frankly exploiting us into believing so. I have tried to find any rights, regulations and laws to support what I believe but have found none showing where the line should be drawn.

Please help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FumbleBunny)
    Hi. I'm a night care assistant at a care home and I'm worried about the cleaning responsibilities I've been given. Should night care assistants be cleaning toilets, bathrooms, doing laundry, washing utensils (plates, cups, drinking glasses) by hand/ dishwasher, setting tables, emptying large bins, hoovering and moping?

These are all duties that they claim we have to do as night care assistant but I don't believe that's right and they are frankly exploiting us into believing so. I have tried to find any rights, regulations and laws to support what I believe but have found none showing where the line should be drawn.

Please help!!
    Do you have a copy of your contract and your job description? The tasks you're talking about are usually done by housekeeping staff (who have been trained to do these tasks safely, the training is different to care staff).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    Do you have a copy of your contract and your job description? The tasks you're talking about are usually done by housekeeping staff (who have been trained to do these tasks safely, the training is different to care staff).
    I have my contract but I've misplaced my description. On the other hand, I remember the manager said that I'd be doing small cleaning like wiping down tables which I was fine with. But all the other night staff were saying that what we're doing was normal and I know it isn't. I'm basically doing two roles: being a carer and a cleaner.

ReputationRep:
    Yes this is very normal. During my time working
    nights as a rehabilitation assistant (fancy word
    for care assistant), in a Neurological Rehabilitation
    Centre (again fancy term for what is essentially a
    care home), all the cleaning tasks were carried out
    by night staff.

This is because no cleaners were employed to my
    understanding, and night shifts are usually much
    quieter than day ones.

Sure, we had the odd chaotic one or two, but what
    I'm trying to say is that the cleaning was done usually
    to fill that huge gap we had in between doing other
    tasks, such as observing, spending time with the
    patients, putting them to bed, etc.

I am in no way shape or form saying that care work is
    easy and we have a lot of free time, it isn't easy, it
    takes a special kind of person to flourish at these jobs.

You're right in saying, it is essentially a blend of caring
    for the patients, and maintaining the building to a high
    standard.

So essentially, you have two ways about this;
    If you really, really hate cleaning up, maybe consider
    working day shifts, or evening shifts?

If you still wanna work night shifts, coz you’re a night
    owl like me then ask for a copy of your job description
    to be printed out from HR and have a look at it. It’s
    honestly not that bad, and I enjoyed everything about
    working night shifts a-z, I’m going back to it. (*hopefully)

I hope that helps and feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

-x-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FumbleBunny)

Please help!!
    Yup this is normal. I worked as a HCA during medical school in different settings. certainly when you work in nursing homes/ care homes you will have cleaning duties - I even had a job that required me to do ironing! It's an incredibly hard job for very poor reward.
    This is not the same in the NHS or in private hospitals though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.