Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I started off Year 12 doing Maths, Economics, Physics and Geography. Today, I dropped Geography as it was my least favourite subject and I didn't understand most of the content I was learning in Geography. Therefore, I'm going to do 3 AS levels and continue with these subjects into Year 13.

That being said, am I at a disadvantage for not doing 4 AS Levels? My initial plan was to do 4 AS Levels in Year 12 and drop Geography after AS. I'm just wondering because I'm not sure if some universities require 3 A levels and then an AS. Assuming that I do really well at Maths, Physics and Economics at the end of Year 13, do I still have the chance to get into top universities, such as Russell Group universities? Now that I'm doing three subjects instead of four, I have more time to focus on each subject- especially Physics because I know how intense the course is, meaning that it will help me to secure better grades.

Also, due to A Level reforms, is there any point in doing AS Levels?
    Thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentbeast)
    Hi,
    I started off Year 12 doing Maths, Economics, Physics and Geography. Today, I dropped Geography as it was my least favourite subject and I didn't understand most of the content I was learning in Geography. Therefore, I'm going to do 3 AS levels and continue with these subjects into Year 13.

That being said, am I at a disadvantage for not doing 4 AS Levels? My initial plan was to do 4 AS Levels in Year 12 and drop Geography after AS. I'm just wondering because I'm not sure if some universities require 3 A levels and then an AS. Assuming that I do really well at Maths, Physics and Economics at the end of Year 13, do I still have the chance to get into top universities, such as Russell Group universities? Now that I'm doing three subjects instead of four, I have more time to focus on each subject- especially Physics because I know how intense the course is, meaning that it will help me to secure better grades.

Also, due to A Level reforms, is there any point in doing AS Levels?
    Thank you
    Universities don't usually make offers for 4 A Levels (or 3 A2 and 1 AS). You are at no disadvantage doing 3 A Levels. I did 3 and got offers from RG universities

Completing AS exams gives your teachers the base for your A Level predictions, and they are actually worth around 40% of a full A Level on their own, so if you don't decide to continue with all of your AS, you will still get some UCAS points.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, i know plenty of people who tried doing 4 and dropped them at varying points over the two years, i say focus on your 3 and smash them, however make sure they are right for u.

Theres not too much point in doing as imo as it doesnt have enough benefits to warrant the extra exams.

Russel group unis all make offers based on three a levels. In fact every uni does.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Now that A Levels are linear, there is absolutely no way to put yourself under pressure to do 4! AAB for instance is far better than BBCC! Even Oxbridge does not require 4 If you want to increase the competitiveness of your application, I'd suggest looking into doing an EPQ if your school/college offers it

ReputationRep:
    Universities will only ask for three A-Levels. The fourth is nice, but it was never a necessity. Due to the A Level reforms, there is little point in doing the AS Levels. They're good as a sort of predictor of your final grades, but your school's predictions of your grades will suffice. I suppose that they're a fallback if you decide to not go through the whole A Level.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.