Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Question:
    10cm3 of a hydrocarbon of formula CxHy was burnt in excess oxygen. At the end of the reaction 0.045g of liquid water had been formed and the total volume of gas left was 80cm3, of which 30cm3 was unburnt oxygen. Deduce the values of x and y in the formula for the hydrocarbon.

I know how to do the Moles=mass/Mr equation and n=v/24 but I still have no idea how you get the values of x and y- I've tried so many different ways! Please can someone give me some guidance?

Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brookleahy)
    Question:
    10cm3 of a hydrocarbon of formula CxHy was burnt in excess oxygen. At the end of the reaction 0.045g of liquid water had been formed and the total volume of gas left was 80cm3, of which 30cm3 was unburnt oxygen. Deduce the values of x and y in the formula for the hydrocarbon.

I know how to do the Moles=mass/Mr equation and n=v/24 but I still have no idea how you get the values of x and y- I've tried so many different ways! Please can someone give me some guidance?

Thankyou
    I would start by writing out the formula for combustion of the hydrocarbon

CxHy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MexicanKeith)

CxHy
    CxHy+O2->H2O +CO2
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

CxHy
    But after you've done the formula and worked out moles and volume how do you find x an y- do you have to reearrange an equation?

ReputationRep:
    CxHy+O2->H2O +CO2
    Equation has to be balanced

eg

CH4 + 2O2 --> CO2 + 2H2O

or

C5H10 + 7.5 O2 ---> 5CO2 + 5H2O

CxHy is a more general case so the numbers will all be in terms of x and y

ReputationRep:

eg

CH4 + 2O2 --> CO2 + 2H2O

or

CxHy is a more general case to the numbers will all be in terms of x and y
    So after you've balanced it is that the answer because you have the hydrocarbon formula?

ReputationRep:
    So after you've balanced it is that the answer because you have the hydrocarbon formula?
    no, when you balance the equation

CxHy + [?] O2 ----> [?] CO2 + [?] H2O

you are then in a position to use mole calculations and ideal gas equation to work out the answer.

so first, just try to balance it

ReputationRep:

eg

CH4 + 2O2 --> CO2 + 2H2O

or

CxHy is a more general case so the numbers will all be in terms of x and y
    How would I know which is the correct balanced equation if you can balance it 2 ways?

ReputationRep:
    How would I know which is the correct balanced equation if you can balance it 2 ways?
    The two equations i gave were just examples of balanced combustion equations

the equation you need to balance is the general one with x's an y's in it

ReputationRep:
    The two equations i gave were just examples of balanced combustion equations

the equation you need to balance is the general one with x's an y's in it
    Ok thankyou so when you balance CxHy, does that mean you'll have one carbon and one hydrogen?

ReputationRep:
    Ok thankyou so when you balance CxHy, does that mean you'll have one carbon and one hydrogen?
    so if I balance that in general I have x carbons and y hydrogens

so overall

CxHy + (x+y/4) O2 ----> xCO2 + y/2 H2O

ReputationRep:
    Would you say this is correct:

C4H8 + 6O2 -> 4CO2+ 4H2O

ReputationRep:
    Would you say this is correct:

C4H8 + 6O2 -> 4CO2+ 4H2O
    Im afraid not

you should know that any gas occupies the same volume per mole

use the information you're given to work out the volume of CO2 produced in the reaction, what do you get?

ReputationRep:
    Im afraid not

use the information you're given to work out the volume of CO2 produced in the reaction, what do you get?
    So the volume is 0.05dm3?

ReputationRep:
    Im afraid not

So my equation still isn't balanced?

ReputationRep:
    Question:

Thankyou
    Please be incredibly careful when using the n=v/24 formula. This only applies if v is measured in dm^3. You're using cm^3 which are 1,000 times smaller. Convert to dm^3 by dividing by 1,000.

First, use the n=v/24 formula to find out how many moles of hydrocarbon there are (assume it's a gas). Then find out how many moles of liquid water you have using the moles = mass/Mr equation. Since there are no hydrogen atoms involved anywhere else in the reaction, you should be able to find y from this.

As for finding x, think about what the other 50cm^3 of gas must be. Complete combustion of a hydrocarbon creates water and what else? Find out how many moles of this gas there are. Since this is where all the carbon has gone, you can find x from this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)
    Please be incredibly careful when using the n=v/24 formula. This only applies if v is measured in dm^3. You're using cm^3 which are 1,000 times smaller. Convert to dm^3 by dividing by 1,000.

First, use the n=v/24 formula to find out how many moles of hydrocarbon there are (assume it's a gas). Then find out how many moles of liquid water you have using the moles = mass/Mr equation. Since there are no hydrogen atoms involved anywhere else in the reaction, you should be able to find y from this.

As for finding x, think about what the other 50cm^3 of gas must be. Complete combustion of a hydrocarbon creates water and what else? Find out how many moles of this gas there are. Since this is where all the carbon has gone, you can find x from this.
    Ok thankyou but how do you actually find Y and x after completing the equations?

ReputationRep:
    Ok thankyou but how do you actually find Y and x after completing the equations?
    An example to find y:

10cm^3 of hydrocarbon = 0.01dm^3. n=0.01/24 = 0.000417 moles of hydrocarbon
    0.045g / 18 = 0.0025 moles of water
    0.0025 moles of water contains 0.005 moles of hydrogen atoms because there are 2 hydrogen atoms per water molecule.
    y = 0.005 / 0.000417 = 12, therefore y = 12

Hopefully you can use a similar method to find x.

ReputationRep:
    An example to find y:

0.0025 moles of water contains 0.005 moles of hydrogen atoms because there are 2 hydrogen atoms per water molecule.

Thankyou so much!!

ReputationRep:
    An example to find y:

So would x=5 to make C5H12 Pentane? I worked this out with my own knowledge rather than the method please could advise me which numbers to use to get 5?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.