Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brookleahy)
    So would x=5 to make C5H12 Pentane? I worked this out with my own knowledge rather than the method please could advise me which numbers to use to get 5?
    You'd be correct, but if you just used the general formula CnH2n+2, you can't rely on that. It works in this case, but other hydrocarbons exist (for example alkenes) with other formulae that don't follow the alkane pattern.

Method:
    50cm^3 = 0.05dm^3. Moles of CO2 = 0.05/24 = 0.00208 moles.
    From earlier method to find y, there are 0.000417 moles of hydrocarbon
    0.00208 moles of carbon dioxide contains 0.00208 moles of carbon atoms.
    x = 0.00208/0.000417 = 5
    The hydrocarbon is C5H12 or pentane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)
    You'd be correct, but if you just used the general formula CnH2n+2, you can't rely on that. It works in this case, but other hydrocarbons exist (for example alkenes) with other formulae that don't follow the alkane pattern.

Method:
    50cm^3 = 0.05dm^3. Moles of CO2 = 0.05/24 = 0.00208 moles.
    From earlier method to find y, there are 0.000417 moles of hydrocarbon
    0.00208 moles of carbon dioxide contains 0.00208 moles of carbon atoms.
    x = 0.00208/0.000417 = 5
    The hydrocarbon is C5H12 or pentane.
    I understand now! You've been such a great help- thankyou
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    While mathematically, the final answer would be the same, I would suggest caution when using moles of gas = volume/24.

That relation applies only under room conditions (25 degrees and 1 atm), which was not specified in the question.

It is conceptually more sound to use the ratios of the VOLUMES of the hydrocarbon to carbon dioxide formed. Ratio of the volume of gases = ratio of the moles of gases

This relationship is valid long as the conditions (temp, pressure) are the same during measurement and unlike moles = volume/24, is not only limited to room conditions (25 degrees and 1 atm)

Therefore,
    hydrocarbon : CO2
    10 cm^3 : 50 cm^3
    1 mole : 5 moles

Therefore 1 mole of hydrocarbon consists of 5 moles of carbon

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.