Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I’ve just started my 2nd year doing mechanical engineering at a uni here in England and I’m struggling quite a bit. Everyone did a group project at the first year and made their friendship groups and course groups then but I burned my bridges there. Now I’m entering the 2nd year and I have no friends on my course and nobody to work with for group projects. Im just wondering what’s the best way of approaching this? Should I just email the professor of the course and tell him that I can’t find anyone to work with? I feel like he’d take me to the front and ask if ther s any group that could take me in and that just seems so humiliating and embarrassing.

I’ve been awfully depressed for the past 4-5 years and just want to get my degree over and done with.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AwfulANDAlone)
    Hi I’ve just started my 2nd year doing mechanical engineering at a uni here in England and I’m struggling quite a bit. Everyone did a group project at the first year and made their friendship groups and course groups then but I burned my bridges there. Now I’m entering the 2nd year and I have no friends on my course and nobody to work with for group projects. Im just wondering what’s the best way of approaching this? Should I just email the professor of the course and tell him that I can’t find anyone to work with? I feel like he’d take me to the front and ask if ther s any group that could take me in and that just seems so humiliating and embarrassing.

I’ve been awfully depressed for the past 4-5 years and just want to get my degree over and done with.
    Does the lecturer not assigned you groups? I'd have thought that'd have been the case as each group would surely need to have even numbers.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Normally there are a few such students, or groups where they have e.g. 3/4 people but it's a 5-6 person group project, and they'll just automatically assign students to groups after that, but there probably will be a few "new" groups made up entirely of people who didn't group up.

Also being friends in a group project is a lot less important than doing your section of the work and everyone overall working together to get a good grade. I mean our second year management group was a disaster, in terms of social dynamics - but we did get the second highest mark in the class (they actually praised us for our "obvious teamwork" which was hilarious because it was basically two of us working and screaming at the others to do something useful).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Does the lecturer not assigned you groups? I'd have thought that'd have been the case as each group would surely need to have even numbers.
    No it's just kind of a free for all and everyone could choose their groups and there wasn't really any set number, some group sizes were emant to be 8-12 but ended up ranging from 4-14.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Normally there are a few such students, or groups where they have e.g. 3/4 people but it's a 5-6 person group project, and they'll just automatically assign students to groups after that, but there probably will be a few "new" groups made up entirely of people who didn't group up.

Also being friends in a group project is a lot less important than doing your section of the work and everyone overall working together to get a good grade. I mean our second year management group was a disaster, in terms of social dynamics - but we did get the second highest mark in the class (they actually praised us for our "obvious teamwork" which was hilarious because it was basically two of us working and screaming at the others to do something useful).
    I don't know man, seems like pretty much everyone has their cliques and friendship circles who they will get into groups with.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No it's just kind of a free for all and everyone could choose their groups and there wasn't really any set number, some group sizes were emant to be 8-12 but ended up ranging from 4-14.
    That sounds quite unusual, having such vastly different sized groups for group work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    That sounds quite unusual, having such vastly different sized groups for group work.
    Well that was year 1 maybe this year will be more strict but i'm just worrying about it. I probably will just drop an email to thr professor but I'm not too sure how to word it, e.g. "i have no friends and don't know anyone on my course could you please assign me to a group" etc...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Well that was year 1 maybe this year will be more strict but i'm just worrying about it. I probably will just drop an email to thr professor but I'm not too sure how to word it, e.g. "i have no friends and don't know anyone on my course could you please assign me to a group" etc...
    If it's graded, they'll probably want to ensure that each group has equal numbers, and might even assign you into groups (they did this at my uni). I wouldn't worry too much about what has happened so far since a lot can change over the coming years.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.