Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

I hope you are well. I hope someone can help me please?

My problem is I left work early last week Monday and yesterday due to me going to college on time. My manager contacted me today to let me know that I have to talk to the head first thing when I go into work tommorow. The problem is this is a new job and I am not familiar with anything at the moment.

I did enquire to the manager how the system of absence works but she just shrugged it off as I will show you later.

As I am on probation would anything come out of this? Or am I doomed for good?

TLDR:, I got a call from manager to say that I got to talk with the head in regards to me leaving 10 minutes early from work as I 'breached my contract'.

Thank you very much. x
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sadiyah123)
    Hey guys

I hope you are well. I hope someone can help me please?

My problem is I left work early last week Monday and yesterday due to me going to college on time. My manager contacted me today to let me know that I have to talk to the head first thing when I go into work tommorow. The problem is this is a new job and I am not familiar with anything at the moment.

I did enquire to the manager how the system of absence works but she just shrugged it off as I will show you later.

As I am on probation would anything come out of this? Or am I doomed for good?

TLDR:, I got a call from manager to say that I got to talk with the head in regards to me leaving 10 minutes early from work as I 'breached my contract'.

Thank you very much. x
    Did you tell your manager you were leaving early? Or ask her? Or clear it in advance at the interview? Or did you just vanish ten minutes early?

The issue is it makes it extremely complicated now for them to pay you as most companies will only pay the time you work (to the minute, some round up but most don't) so if you're on hourly pay they now have to work out how much you earned for that last 50 minutes..

If you're contracted to work a certain time they expect you to be there until that 10. Leaving 10 minutes early because you have college is not a reasonable excuse. If you knew that why did you accept the hours?

I'd say if this continues you'll probably lose your job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    Did you tell your manager you were leaving early? Or ask her? Or clear it in advance at the interview? Or did you just vanish ten minutes early?

The issue is it makes it extremely complicated now for them to pay you as most companies will only pay the time you work (to the minute, some round up but most don't) so if you're on hourly pay they now have to work out how much you earned for that last 50 minutes..

If you're contracted to work a certain time they expect you to be there until that 10. Leaving 10 minutes early because you have college is not a reasonable excuse. If you knew that why did you accept the hours?

I'd say if this continues you'll probably lose your job
    Hey my manager was not in yesterday I did inform them at the interview to which I also told them I haven't received my timetable as of yet. They were fine with that. However yesterday I had to leave as I was getting threatened by my form tutor if I don't attend tutorial time. I am not using college as an excuse. I am saying I had to leave because I had college.

I totally understand that I am meant to be at the place for the amount that it says however I did tell my colleague who reassured me by saying it's fine. (Then I realised it was her that grassed me to my manager.)

This is not going to continue I will make sure I stay there for the full hour like I used to.

Thank you for your answer
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sadiyah123)
    Hey my manager was not in yesterday I did inform them at the interview to which I also told them I haven't received my timetable as of yet. They were fine with that. However yesterday I had to leave as I was getting threatened by my form tutor if I don't attend tutorial time. I am not using college as an excuse. I am saying I had to leave because I had college.

I totally understand that I am meant to be at the place for the amount that it says however I did tell my colleague who reassured me by saying it's fine. (Then I realised it was her that grassed me to my manager.)

This is not going to continue I will make sure I stay there for the full hour like I used to.

Thank you for your answer
    If you told them you'd have to leave 10 minutes early at your interview, and that you don't yet have a fixed timetable, you're not in the wrong here - they are. You won't be fired, they understand you're young and are new to this. If you haven't had that phone call already, I'd recommend reminding them that you mentioned that you'd need to leave 10 minutes early for college and/or that your timetable isn't fixed yet and didn't know what your hours would be - it sounds like they're trying to test just how much of a pushover you are, and holding your ground (politely) in this case would show them you're not and that your word is to be taken seriously.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.