The Student Room Group

Urban planning degree?

Hello! I’m interested in applying for urban planning undergraduate degree courses. It looks interesting, I’ve done a bit of work experience and been to open days which I enjoyed, But before I make the plunge into debt, I’d like to know how reputable this degree is say compared to a geography degree? I’m fairly sure that I want to be a planner (although things like water + environment managing interests me too)
Original post by AG109
Hello! I’m interested in applying for urban planning undergraduate degree courses. It looks interesting, I’ve done a bit of work experience and been to open days which I enjoyed, But before I make the plunge into debt, I’d like to know how reputable this degree is say compared to a geography degree? I’m fairly sure that I want to be a planner (although things like water + environment managing interests me too)

Hi!

I just started my MPLAN (4 years integrated masters) degree at Leeds Beckett University this year. It is so interesting! I was also toying with doing geography also my choices were Human Geography and Planning or the MPLAN on its own.

I spoke to the tutors at the university (they are honestly so helpful). We came to the conclusion that because I hadn't really done a social science for quite while or written an essay for a bit, the MPLAN would probably sit me more.

So, if you like social sciences, if you're into writing reports AND essays then you could always do Geography and planning. I would say the geography side of it goes into the 'why, what for, how, what difference does it make' side of it. However, if reports are more your thing maybe just go for planning on its own.

I could tell you a little more about the planning course at Leeds Beckett if you're considering it.

But yes, you could study both as a bachelors degree if you wanted to. Or if you just studied geography there's always the opportunity to study a masters in planning.

Hope this helped a little bit!
Reply 2
Original post by amingo26
Hi!

I just started my MPLAN (4 years integrated masters) degree at Leeds Beckett University this year. It is so interesting! I was also toying with doing geography also my choices were Human Geography and Planning or the MPLAN on its own.

I spoke to the tutors at the university (they are honestly so helpful). We came to the conclusion that because I hadn't really done a social science for quite while or written an essay for a bit, the MPLAN would probably sit me more.

So, if you like social sciences, if you're into writing reports AND essays then you could always do Geography and planning. I would say the geography side of it goes into the 'why, what for, how, what difference does it make' side of it. However, if reports are more your thing maybe just go for planning on its own.

I could tell you a little more about the planning course at Leeds Beckett if you're considering it.

But yes, you could study both as a bachelors degree if you wanted to. Or if you just studied geography there's always the opportunity to study a masters in planning.

Hope this helped a little bit!

Thank you this definitely helped! I’m pretty certain I’ll apply for planning on its own. Seems like a good course and I know some people who’ve done it and now have good jobs/placements. All the best with yours!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending