Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I want to take a gap year before going to uni to get hold of my A level results as my AS grades went down the drain (hence applying for deferred entries to low entry requirement unis on ucas). My question is, say get a deferred entry offer, would I then still be able to re-apply for ucas (to better unis) during my gap year ??

ReputationRep:
    If you're holding a deferred offer, you can't apply to other courses.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pacb10)
    If you're holding a deferred offer, you can't apply to other courses.
    Right, I guess my next question is, would I be able to cancel an acceptance offer after receiving my A level grades, or would that be too late?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rix.99)
    Right, I guess my next question is, would I be able to cancel an acceptance offer after receiving my A level grades, or would that be too late?
    You can withdraw from an offer or a place at any point up to enrolment.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can. But the sooner you do it, the better it is as it gives a chance for another person to get your space on the course.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    You can withdraw from an offer or a place at any point up to enrolment.
    Hi again, I’ve thought about this and was thinking about not applying for ucas at all this year since my AS weren’t great and I don’t think I would be able to get into a good uni. Instead I’m thinking of applying by the end of my gap year (ucas 2019). What are your opinions on this??
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hi again, I’ve thought about this and was thinking about not applying for ucas at all this year since my AS weren’t great and I don’t think I would be able to get into a good uni. Instead I’m thinking of applying by the end of my gap year (ucas 2019). What are your opinions on this??
    It completely depends on your opinion.

Some people like the idea of having a "practise run" for UCAS applications. It allows you to work through the application so that you know what you need to include, and you have your school available for support if necessary. You'll be able to write your personal statement, again with school support, and next year when you reapply you can edit the same statement rather than writing a new one. If you do get rejections, you can ask unis for feedback and see which parts of your application need the most work. You've got to be in it to win it, so if you don't apply you can't get offers.

Other people don't need a practise run, as the UCAS application is straightforward (and you can always make an account to see what it's like without sending an application). You might be the kind of person where getting a rejection would upset you. You might think that the application fee is expensive, and you'd rather spend the money elsewhere. You might get obsessed and check Track every few minutes and be distracted from your work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.