Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    if i have applied for acertain college at cambride and do not get in atall? should i just do an open application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmc1634)
    if i have applied for acertain college at cambride and do not get in atall? should i just do an open application?
    All admission tutors at all colleges can see a field of all applicants to other colleges.
    So if you’re good enough for the university but a college you applied to doesn’t have enough place for,you, they may put you in the winter pool for other colleges to consider your application.
    If you choose open application, their computer system randomly allocate you to one of the colleges and they treat you exactly same as their direct applicants.
    Their system is made to make sure the univas a whole can get most capable students regardless of applicants’ college choice and your chance of getting into Cambridge won’t be affected by your choice of college.

ReputationRep:
    Doing an open application will not increase your chances of getting into Cambridge. if your chosen college is too oversubscribed to take you but you are of a good enough standard to go to Cambridge, they will put you in a different college.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliza154)
    Doing an open application will not increase your chances of getting into Cambridge. if your chosen college is too oversubscribed to take you but you are of a good enough standard to go to Cambridge, they will put you in a different college.
    They don’t.
    Read my post above.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    They don’t.
    Read my post above.
    I think they mean via the Pool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    I think they mean via the Pool.
    Or maybe they don’t.
    Still wrong/misleading to suggest you ‘will’ be put into another college because majority of poolees are not fished.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.