Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Last year of sixth form, will be going to uni next year this time. My 4 year old macbook pro died and i need a replacement... not sure which laptop to buy as there's so many models out there (especially for windows)

Below are some stuff I'm looking for. Any advice is welcome.

Budget:

Anything below £2000

The subject being studied:

Economics (hopefully)

Software that will be run on it:
    normal uni applications, but not sure if any specific software is needed for econ, and some leisure activities

Screen size (10", 12", 13.3", 15.6", 17.3" )

13.3"

Operating system preference:

OSX but willing to try windows

Battery life:

standard will be fine (around 9 hours)

Minimum Ram requirements:

8GB

Minimum Storage requirements:

512GB

Weight limit:

2kg or under is fine

Will it be used for playing games?:

Probably not

Touchscreen or stylus support needed?:

na

Are there any specific port needs? (e.g. USB type C):

i dont mind really

What current devices do you have? (including desktop, tablets and phone):

iphone 7

ReputationRep:
    The Dell XPS 15 is a great choice, the screen is beautiful and the laptop itself is very powerful, exceeding all your requirements listed by miles and under £2000 too.

ReputationRep:
    get another mac but wait until the summer so you get student discount and free beats
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Look into the lenovo yoga range. If you have the money for it (it easily fits into your budget), the thinkpad version is built very well. It's a proper business laptop, but has a hinge that goes all the way so you can fold it into a tablet. I have the 12" which fits nicely into a standard backpack for travel.
    You can also get a student discount from the lenovo store with a student email address which is great and you can select some specific specs like processor etc too. (I'm not a lenovo rep I promise)
    Here's a link to the thinkpad yoga:
    https://www3.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptop...thinkpadyoga-2

Other than peddling that specific range, I would suggest looking into the laptop/ tablet scene. I love it even if I don't use the function terribly often. I could see it coming in very handy for note taking when paired with a programme that will turn handwriting into text- best of both worlds in terms of note taking.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I am in year 13 and I got myself a Surface Pro 4 (4GB Ram, i5). Was quite a lot at £900, but I absolutely love it. The surface laptop has come out since then which is around the same price and might be a better choice if you're not a fan of the 2-in-1. The touch screen and pen is also pretty nice.

From some places like John Lewis you can get 2 or 3 year accident cover support which is great. Ask them on the phone to price match with somewhere cheaper and they'll reduce the price but keep the cover support.

Even if you don't get a surface, definitely get something fairly powerful (i5 and 4GB ram) and light. For £2000 you could get something really nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chopstixx01)
    The Dell XPS 15 is a great choice, the screen is beautiful and the laptop itself is very powerful, exceeding all your requirements listed by miles and under £2000 too.
    the only thing is it might me too big to fit into a bag or carry around everyday ://

(Original post by qam)
    get another mac but wait until the summer so you get student discount and free beats
    they were doing that offer a few days ago i think (

(Original post by Kindred)
    Look into the lenovo yoga range. If you have the money for it (it easily fits into your budget), the thinkpad version is built very well. It's a proper business laptop, but has a hinge that goes all the way so you can fold it into a tablet. I have the 12" which fits nicely into a standard backpack for travel.
    You can also get a student discount from the lenovo store with a student email address which is great and you can select some specific specs like processor etc too. (I'm not a lenovo rep I promise)
    Here's a link to the thinkpad yoga:
    https://www3.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptop...thinkpadyoga-2

Other than peddling that specific range, I would suggest looking into the laptop/ tablet scene. I love it even if I don't use the function terribly often. I could see it coming in very handy for note taking when paired with a programme that will turn handwriting into text- best of both worlds in terms of note taking.

Hope that helps
    thanks so much, the stylus-tablet combo would be lit at lectures

(Original post by AHappyStudent)
    I am in year 13 and I got myself a Surface Pro 4 (4GB Ram, i5). Was quite a lot at £900, but I absolutely love it. The surface laptop has come out since then which is around the same price and might be a better choice if you're not a fan of the 2-in-1. The touch screen and pen is also pretty nice.

From some places like John Lewis you can get 2 or 3 year accident cover support which is great. Ask them on the phone to price match with somewhere cheaper and they'll reduce the price but keep the cover support.

Even if you don't get a surface, definitely get something fairly powerful (i5 and 4GB ram) and light. For £2000 you could get something really nice.
    ye i definitely dont want to spend money and realise its too slow to use

ReputationRep:
    yeah youre not going uni till next sept so just wait until next summer and get that offer again , plus by then they wouldve released a ton f new models for you to choose from

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.