Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stomach problems after taking an overdose Watch

Disclaimer: Don't worry, I went to hospital after the overdose and stayed on a ward until I was physically and mentally fit to go home!! That was a week ago.
    It was my antidepressant tablets that I took btw.

Now I have been having problems with eating since. My stomach feels uncomfortable and sore every time I eat. After eating a small portion, I feel like I've just had a full blown three-course meal! Then it takes AGES to digest. I'll probably have indigestion for the whole of tomorrow just because I forced myself to have two proper meals today.

The doctor on the ward said the tablets hadn't caused any damage to my stomach, liver etc, but I don't see how he could know that for sure since the only evidence he had was my blood test results, ECG results and blood pressure results.

What do you think has happened? I'm seeing my GP tomorrow but I just wanted to hear some opinions on here as to whether the overdose would have damaged my stomach/digestive organs.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    it could be stress and depression that is causing this and not the pills
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Disclaimer: Don't worry, I went to hospital after the overdose and stayed on a ward until I was physically and mentally fit to go home!! That was a week ago.
    It was my antidepressant tablets that I took btw.

Now I have been having problems with eating since. My stomach feels uncomfortable and sore every time I eat. After eating a small portion, I feel like I've just had a full blown three-course meal! Then it takes AGES to digest. I'll probably have indigestion for the whole of tomorrow just because I forced myself to have two proper meals today.

The doctor on the ward said the tablets hadn't caused any damage to my stomach, liver etc, but I don't see how he could know that for sure since the only evidence he had was my blood test results, ECG results and blood pressure results.

What do you think has happened? I'm seeing my GP tomorrow but I just wanted to hear some opinions on here as to whether the overdose would have damaged my stomach/digestive organs.

Cheers
    Thank you for the disclaimer. You saved me from writing doctor in very big letters. Well done for going to the hospital btw. It takes a lot of guts to do that sort of thing.
    I've had experience of how much havoc stress can cause on your stomach so that could well be the cause. It's also possible it has irritated your stomach without actually damaging it- think food poisoning.
    I have a sensitive gut (IBS) and you would not believe the sort of issues I can have with stress or things like antibiotics. Your gut can be experiencing a surprising amount of pain and irritation when there's no damage going on.

You're going to see your GP so no need to worry. Chill out with some plain food and drink and don't worry. Nothing worrying can do to help you. Be sure to ask your GP about all your concerns tomorrow though so they can check it all out and put your mind at rest

ReputationRep:
    did they wash it out and give you charcoal, if so this could be the cause.i would see your gp just to be sure.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.