ReputationRep:
    what should I apply for my 5th choice (non-medical):
    King's Anatomy, human biology — cuz i wanna be a surgeon
    Bristol applied anatomy or similar courses
    edinburgh, birmingham ?

helpppppppp
    opinions ?

ReputationRep:
    st George's recommended that a good 5th choice would be biomedical sciences. They also have a (unique) programme where you can enter their 3 year biomedical programme and then use it to enter a 3 year medicine graduate.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrstlc13)
    st George's recommended that a good 5th choice would be biomedical sciences. They also have a (unique) programme where you can enter their 3 year biomedical programme and then use it to enter a 3 year medicine graduate.
    A few other universities do something similar. Complete one year of biomed/something related and you have the chance to transfer into first year medicine of that university or a partner university. Obviously very competitive. Newcastle and Bradford and the two that spring to mind.

ReputationRep:
    You dont have to make this decision right now if you are not sure.

Many people don't realise this - you can just apply for your 4 Med choices now, and if you want/need to, you can add your 5th choice right up to the Jan deadline - it wont make any difference to the way that Uni views your application. Or you can just apply for 4 Med choices - and not use your 5th choice at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    You have the chance to transfer into first year medicine of that university or a partner university. .
    Just remember - its a 'chance' not a certainty, so you could be stuck on Biochem/Biomed. And..... if you are thinking of following that up with Grad Entry Medicine, be aware that GEM is still an undergrad degree - and therefore you'll have to pay for most of it yourself. Taking a gap year/reapplying for 5 year Med is probably a better option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Just remember - its a 'chance' not a certainty, so you could be stuck on Biochem/Biomed. And..... if you are thinking of following that up with Grad Entry Medicine, be aware that GEM is still an undergrad degree - and therefore you'll have to pay for most of it yourself.
    I wasn't replying to OP. I was replying the the person who thinks what St.George's do is unique. I mean it is in the sense that 3rd year biomed --> 3rd year medicine, but the idea itself of transferring course isn't unique. I know all about GEM because it's the path I'm going down and as a matter of fact, you only have to pay the first £3.5k.

ReputationRep:
    Thats the thing, my parents wont let me take a gap year, even if it means i have to do something like economics they dont care. The only was i can make this work is to apply something related to medicine ...

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.