Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you HAVE to go through graduation? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I'm not proud of the University I go to. I'm not going to say which one because I'm not a troll and I don't want to start a flame here so I'll leave the name out.

Serious question.

Basically, the only reason I went to this crappy Uni is because of the vocational opportunities. I am just into my second year and I just spent summer working for an "industry" that I'm really enthusiastic about. I'm also part of the OTC, which is really cool because I've learned a lot and done a lot, despite not really wanting to be in the armed forces.

Stuff like that is the only reason I'm here. I failed to get into the University I wanted to go to (which is literally down the road to me, I get a lemon in my wound every morning) because I screwed up a couple of exams, now I'm here. The course is easy, I got a first (93%) in my first year and everything is pretty much the same this year. Nothing is challenging, even the exams are easy here. I would sooner re-sit my A-Levels for the challenge. I basically dedicate about five to six hours a day to University and I get good grades, I'm not engaged in my studies or my Uni, just the volunteering and working side of things.

I went home to see my mum the other day and as usual I refused to talk about Uni. I'd rather talk about my night job and the things I do on an evening. My mum is really proud of me, but she never went to University, so she doesn't really understand how embarrassing this place is.

She said something like "I hope you can at least crack a smile at graduation" and I realised, s**t! I have to do graduation!

Do you have to go through graduation? Do I have to go and pretend that I'm proud to have been "educated" here and stand on stage with a stupid gown on and have my picture taken?

Maybe this thread is a little bit hyperbolic and I need to calm down a bit because I'm frustrated with my situation (they wouldn't let me transfer to the good university in May/June despite my first) and I'm definitely stuck here for another two years.

This post is serious and the question still stands, but I just have steam pouring from my ears, mouth and fingers as I write this.

But I really don't want to go through the graduation ceremony here? Maybe when I get my Master's from the good University down the road, I'd happily go and graduate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hughey89)
    Basically, I'm not proud of the University I go to. I'm not going to say which one because I'm not a troll and I don't want to start a flame here so I'll leave the name out.

Serious question.

Basically, the only reason I went to this crappy Uni is because of the vocational opportunities. I am just into my second year and I just spent summer working for an "industry" that I'm really enthusiastic about. I'm also part of the OTC, which is really cool because I've learned a lot and done a lot, despite not really wanting to be in the armed forces.

Stuff like that is the only reason I'm here. I failed to get into the University I wanted to go to (which is literally down the road to me, I get a lemon in my wound every morning) because I screwed up a couple of exams, now I'm here. The course is easy, I got a first (93%) in my first year and everything is pretty much the same this year. Nothing is challenging, even the exams are easy here. I would sooner re-sit my A-Levels for the challenge. I basically dedicate about five to six hours a day to University and I get good grades, I'm not engaged in my studies or my Uni, just the volunteering and working side of things.

I went home to see my mum the other day and as usual I refused to talk about Uni. I'd rather talk about my night job and the things I do on an evening. My mum is really proud of me, but she never went to University, so she doesn't really understand how embarrassing this place is.

She said something like "I hope you can at least crack a smile at graduation" and I realised, s**t! I have to do graduation!

Do you have to go through graduation? Do I have to go and pretend that I'm proud to have been "educated" here and stand on stage with a stupid gown on and have my picture taken?

Maybe this thread is a little bit hyperbolic and I need to calm down a bit because I'm frustrated with my situation (they wouldn't let me transfer to the good university in May/June despite my first) and I'm definitely stuck here for another two years.

This post is serious and the question still stands, but I just have steam pouring from my ears, mouth and fingers as I write this.

But I really don't want to go through the graduation ceremony here? Maybe when I get my Master's from the good University down the road, I'd happily go and graduate.
    No, you don't have to attend - you can graduate in absentia.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Serious question.

Graduation is just a ceremony. You don't need to go if you don't want to. You might want to for the sake of your mum who will be proud of you though. It's one of those big parenting moments.

ReputationRep:

Serious question.

I didn't go to mine, but that was because I had to order tickets for the ceremony at a time when I was convinced I wouldn't pass. Do I wish I had? A little. I've never been one for celebrations, especially not en masse. But calm down, it's no biggie. If you want to do master's, that's great: the degree has been a means to an end, and you can doubly celebrate at the end. But your degree does mean something, though it wasn't from where you wanted it to be. Maybe you'll even feel a bit proud of it in time!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No, you don't HAVE to go. Many people skipped it.

ReputationRep:
    Go for your mum, it's these little things that parents love the most (Even if you will hate it, just smile for your mum)

ReputationRep:
    I went to my undergrad one but not my postgrad

ReputationRep:
    No you don't have to attend, but like many others said, it is the end celebration of your studies that your family might want to attend. It doesn't really take that long, you only have to go on stage, smile and shake hands for like a minute or so. Most of the time you are sat down clapping for others.

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.