Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My uni is absolute rubbish. Should i drop out? Watch

I'm studying engineering and only in 10 hours a week (Second year). The lectures are slow. The tutorials are even slower. I feel like I'm wasting 9k a year tbh. I don't know if I'm expecting too much because my coursemates are saying the pace is perfect/too quick.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm studying engineering and only in 10 hours a week (Second year). The lectures are slow. The tutorials are even slower. I feel like I'm wasting 9k a year tbh. I don't know if I'm expecting too much because my coursemates are saying the pace is perfect/too quick.

Does that mean dropping out of uni altogether.

As you have activated year 2 funding then you do not have enough left for a new degree, so your only other option is to find a uni to take you as a transfer into year 2.

Your choice.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Does that mean dropping out of uni altogether.

As you have activated year 2 funding then you do not have enough left for a new degree, so your only other option is to find a uni to take you as a transfer into year 2.

Your choice.
    Taking a year out and working. And apply to another university
    • Very Important Poster

I cant offer advice either way as its your choice, just weigh up the pros and cons.

You have to i'd someone wiling to take you into second year. I can empathise with being on a rubbish course and would transfer if the option was open and it cost me a gap year. If you left for compelling personal reasons and with GP advice, then heres a chance you could put a CPR claim in and get sfe to disregard this years funds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I cant offer advice either way as its your choice, just weigh up the pros and cons.

You have to id someone wiling to take you into second year. I can empathise with being on a rubbish course and would transfer if the option was open and it cost me a gap year. Ig you left for compelling personal reasons and with GP advice, then heres a chance you could put a CPR claim in and get sfe to disregard this years funds.
    Can you spell properly? What does "id" and "Ig" and "sfe" mean?

ReputationRep:
    You’ve already started using year two funding. If you take a year out and reapply you will have to pay the first years fees yourself.
    Is it really worth it?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by HenryHaite)
    Hilaire.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure the last one is student finance.

ReputationRep:
    Just finish your degree
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Well id in that sense meant identify but I see it’s now been edited to i’d Which makes zero sense at all!!!!!!
    The ig should have been if.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Try the Open University. You can go as fast or as slow (to a degree) as you like. My course hasn't started but I'm three weeks ahead. It's also £958 for 60 credits so just under £2k for one year (about £5k a year in England). The degrees are accredited and recognised. The OU is a well respected distance learning uni. They accept transfers of credits as well.

ReputationRep:
    How did you do in first year? Do you go to a respected university? I think you should finish the course.

ReputationRep:
    LMAO, this made me laugh more than it should have.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Student Finance England.

SFW = Student Finance Wales.

(Original post by UWS)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by king leonidas)
    lmao, this made me laugh more than it should have.
    this. Is. Spartaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    A 2.1 is a 2.1. And try to get some work experience (volunteer work, interships, networking etc).

You've come this far, I think you should finish it, after how far you've come.

You could be able to transfer into the 2nd year at a different university.

ReputationRep:
    Why bother, if the pace is slow you must have it pretty easy right? Like if it's so slow for you you must surely be easily averaging a first? So get a good grade and enjoy the time you have left, get a job and save up some money or something, sounds nice to me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.