Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the most effective way to revise A LEVEL English Literature watch

ReputationRep:
    I revised quite a bit for AS (could have done more though) but I only managed a B (1 mark off an A ( ) and I think I just didn't revise effectively/efficiently. I don't want to make the same mistake this year as I am aiming to achieve an A.

So my question is to anyone who has done or is doing A level English lit who has a good revision method, what is the best way to revise that will give me good results? I know revision is far from a one size fits all approach, but general efficient revision techniques are quite similar, I think.

P.s. The texts that I'm studying are 1984, Handmaid's tale (dystopia), A Streetcar Named Desire, Twelfth Night, A doll's house and the 15 Christina Rossetti poems if anyone else is studying the same ones as myself.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I got A*/A/A* (GCSE/AS/A2) in English Lit.

I mainly revised by creating my own revision document from York Notes, my teacher's notes and my own thoughts. I haven't studied the texts you are (although I've read most). Also, I have found people overstate how much reading of the texts you need. I only read mine once. Sadly you don't really need to understand the story of the texts to get good marks. Overall, I personally found that you don't need that much revision for English Lit. It's not like history or biology in terms of getting marks from content. I think it's more about exam technique and performing on the day. So my revision documents were always not too brief but not that detailed, this allowed me to have some key knowledge which I could frame to fit the questions asked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliticsandP)
    Hi, I got A*/A/A* (GCSE/AS/A2) in English Lit.

I mainly revised by creating my own revision document from York Notes, my teacher's notes and my own thoughts. I haven't studied the texts you are (although I've read most). Also, I have found people overstate how much reading of the texts you need. I only read mine once. Sadly you don't really need to understand the story of the texts to get good marks. Overall, I personally found that you don't need that much revision for English Lit. It's not like history or biology in terms of getting marks from content. I think it's more about exam technique and performing on the day. So my revision documents were always not too brief but not that detailed, this allowed me to have some key knowledge which I could frame to fit the questions asked.
    Well done on your amazing grades! I'll definitely check out York notes and see if it works for me too. Thanks
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I'm studying LIt/Lang, 15 Heaney Poems, Streetcar, Handsmaid tale and Gatsby (as well as a paris anthology for Lang) so thanks for making this thread and congrats on such a good AS grade even if you aren't happy with it! Do you have any tips or things that you wish you could change/had known in your first few weeks of sixth form that you don't mind sharing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CinnamonSmol)
    I'm studying LIt/Lang, 15 Heaney Poems, Streetcar, Handsmaid tale and Gatsby (as well as a paris anthology for Lang) so thanks for making this thread and congrats on such a good AS grade even if you aren't happy with it! Do you have any tips or things that you wish you could change/had known in your first few weeks of sixth form that you don't mind sharing?
    Thank you! I found having a revision book solely on potential themes for texts I'm studying quite a good way to revise so all my notes are in 1 place. I'm a visual learner so I made all my notes V colourful and simple too.
    I would definitely recommend doing more essay questions, even though English lit essays take forever, It's so essential to keep doing them as you get used to the timing and your analysis should improve over time from feedback. So this is something that I'm doing more of this year aswell lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eaglechels)
    I revised quite a bit for AS (could have done more though) but I only managed a B (1 mark off an A ( ) and I think I just didn't revise effectively/efficiently. I don't want to make the same mistake this year as I am aiming to achieve an A.

So my question is to anyone who has done or is doing A level English lit who has a good revision method, what is the best way to revise that will give me good results? I know revision is far from a one size fits all approach, but general efficient revision techniques are quite similar, I think.

P.s. The texts that I'm studying are 1984, Handmaid's tale (dystopia), A Streetcar Named Desire, Twelfth Night, A doll's house and the 15 Christina Rossetti poems if anyone else is studying the same ones as myself.
    Thanks!
    Have you got your revision notes for Streetcar Named Desire

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.