Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hello guys, can someone share personal information and insight on if it is possible for me to go to either: Middle sex university, Hertfordshire University or city university and study computer science ? i passed maths GCSE however i got a D grade in English, would this prevent me from going to the universities above ?

currently i am studying BTEC Level 3: IT, Business, Media. And i am predicted D* on IT, D* on media and M on Business which all equates to 144 Points which is well above the required points needed. Thank.

ReputationRep:
    probably very unlikely to get in unless you check foundation years , but i think you should also try to resit that english gcse

ReputationRep:
    You should check with the requirements from each university you want to apply to and see what kind of grades they would accept (/call them). From what I've seen, typically English is expected at C but some universities focus on predicated grades than GCSE and honestly, shouldn't be a big deal unless the majority of your grades are poor.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Elitepredetor99)
    hello guys, can someone share personal information and insight on if it is possible for me to go to either: Middle sex university, Hertfordshire University or city university and study computer science ? i passed maths GCSE however i got a D grade in English, would this prevent me from going to the universities above ?

currently i am studying BTEC Level 3: IT, Business, Media. And i am predicted D* on IT, D* on media and M on Business which all equates to 144 Points which is well above the required points needed. Thank.
    As said below check the entrance requirements for the uni concerned. 99% they require GCSE English and a D is not a pass.

You should/ are required to resit English in which case you can put that on your form and they can make you an offer conditional on you passing.

A few unis will consider functional skills and if you have trouble with GCSE then you might want to try sitting for that as an alternative.

Middlesex C in English
    http://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/help-wi...y-requirements

As pointed out in #2 they may talk to you for foundation, but ask.
    http://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/undergr...tab-1?a=386612

City C in English B in Maths
    https://www.city.ac.uk/courses/under...mputer-science

Herfordshire C in both
    http://www.herts.ac.uk/apply/entry-r...y-requirements
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:

Hello Elitepredetor99,

Nice to hear that you are interested in studying at Middlesex!

One of my closest friends did Computer Science here at Middlesex and created an app that now is available to download
    He really liked the course as it is a mix of theory and practice!

You can find out more about Computing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHkiWG5avzM

We are also running an Open Day on the 25th of November! Why don't you come and have a look? www.mdx.ac.uk/opendays.

Have a great day!
    Ludovica
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:

Hi there,

We usually do require a grade c or above in GCSE Maths and English for all our courses. It would be worth getting in contact with the Admissions tutor for Computer Science, Sue Attwood, [email protected] and letting her know your situation.

As @999tigger said it may be worth resitting your GCSE English if you can as most universities require a c or above.

Also just to let you know we have an open day this Sunday if you wanted to come along and find out more about the Computer Science course and talk to our lecturers about your grades.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Heather

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.