Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so in my ps i wrote about these points:

Why i wanna do medicine (because i like science and helping ppl)
    Work exp - shadowing a doctor
    Volunteering - care home and mosque (teaching young children)
    Tutoring children
    completing first aid course
    Reading medicine related books
    Teaching myself a language

And my head of yr just reviewed it saying:
    "Your whole statement doesn't include enough academic references in it. You need to show what skills and qualities you have learnt from studying your A-levels. Where is your science knowledge and your passion for learning about the body? You have written a lot about the human side of being a doctor but not much about you ability to learn and increase your knowledge of science. You should also think about some of the skills you have learnt through your 6th form study, things like independent learning, ability to meet deadlines, independent research, further reading etc."

But ive read a million statements and barely any of them mention their alevels. And do i rly need to tell them about how i can meet deadlines? Also im teaching myself a language so doesnt that count as independent learning and doesnt reading medicine related books count as further reading?

SO BASICALLY
    What part of his criticism should i listen to?

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    You could talk about something interesting you have learnt in your a levels that link to medicine?

ReputationRep:
    what gcses and a levels did you get ?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catfanny)
    Ok so in my ps i wrote about these points:

Why i wanna do medicine (because i like science and helping ppl)
    Work exp - shadowing a doctor
    Volunteering - care home and mosque (teaching young children)
    Tutoring children
    completing first aid course
    Reading medicine related books
    Teaching myself a language

And my head of yr just reviewed it saying:
    "Your whole statement doesn't include enough academic references in it. You need to show what skills and qualities you have learnt from studying your A-levels. Where is your science knowledge and your passion for learning about the body? You have written a lot about the human side of being a doctor but not much about you ability to learn and increase your knowledge of science. You should also think about some of the skills you have learnt through your 6th form study, things like independent learning, ability to meet deadlines, independent research, further reading etc."

But ive read a million statements and barely any of them mention their alevels. And do i rly need to tell them about how i can meet deadlines? Also im teaching myself a language so doesnt that count as independent learning and doesnt reading medicine related books count as further reading?

SO BASICALLY
    What part of his criticism should i listen to?

Thanks!!
    You don't need to mention anything about your a-levels. Universities knows you're doing them to get into medical school (and most prospective medics tend to like science). It is much more important to talk about work experience and volunteering and how they have shaped your desire to do medicine, understanding of what medicine entails and why you think you would be suited.

A sentence or two acknowledging that you can cope with the academic stress would be the maximum I would include.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student1600)
    You could talk about something interesting you have learnt in your a levels that link to medicine?
    I mean i already mentioned how ive enjoyed science since gcses in it, dont rly see how i could link biology and chemistry alevels to medicine and make it sound good

(Original post by Elitepredetor99)
    what gcses and a levels did you get ?
    Y does that even matter tho

ReputationRep:
    Well in bio you learn about the heart which links to the human body?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student1600)
    Well in bio you learn about the heart which links to the human body?
    Yh but so what? My personal statement shouldnt be an essay on the content i learned during my alevels, im pretty sure everyone learns the same things when they do biology for alevel so how would that make me stand out

ReputationRep:
    but not everyone would talk about how it links idk I'm not a professional but yeah maybe something about anatomy
    Yh but so what? My personal statement shouldnt be an essay on the content i learned during my alevels, im pretty sure everyone learns the same things when they do biology for alevel so how would that make me stand out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    You don't need to mention anything about your a-levels. Universities knows you're doing them to get into medical school (and most prospective medics tend to like science). It is much more important to talk about work experience and volunteering and how they have shaped your desire to do medicine, understanding of what medicine entails and why you think you would be suited.

A sentence or two acknowledging that you can cope with the academic stress would be the maximum I would include.
    Yh i thought so. I mean in my conclusion i wrote about commitment, endurance etc.
    Thank u so much for ur advice!

(Original post by NeverGrowUp)
    i have the same problem .
    The same exact problem as me? Cos i think ForestCat has solved my problem. I just need to find a way to tell my head of yr that hes wrong lol
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yh i thought so. I mean in my conclusion i wrote about commitment, endurance etc.
    Thank u so much for ur advice!

The same exact problem as me? Cos i think ForestCat has solved my problem. I just need to find a way to tell my head of yr that hes wrong lol
    Tell him its your statement and you've spoken to medical students (aka me) who have advised you that it isn't relevant. They can't force you.

Good luck!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverGrowUp)
    hahaha exactly. It will be awkward for me to correct him because he kept repeating and emphasising how i "must" talk about a-levels.
    Tell him thank you very much for the advice but you have also done your own research and would feel happier focussing on work experience etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Tell him its your statement and you've spoken to medical students (aka me) who have advised you that it isn't relevant. They can't force you.

Good luck!
    Lifesaver! Ull definitely be great at ur job!
    Thank u!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.