Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BMAT section 2 q help Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain to me why the answer to this is C and not D??
    Name:  half life q.PNG
Views: 13
Size:  98.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    I think you have to recognise that there is background radiation (or something of the sort that isn't coming from the source) which has a count rate of 20 (which is why you have a straight line at 20 counts/min for detector 2). This means you wouldn't look at half of 220, instead, you'd look at half of 200, as that is the initial count rate of the radiation from the source, and then you'd add on 20 counts/min from the external radiation, to find the point where the count rate of the source has halved.
    So, half of 200 is 100, plus 20, gives you 120 - this comes at 2.4 hours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iras)
    I think you have to recognise that there is background radiation (or something of the sort that isn't coming from the source) which has a count rate of 20 (which is why you have a straight line at 20 counts/min for detector 2). This means you wouldn't look at half of 220, instead, you'd look at half of 200, as that is the initial count rate of the radiation from the source, and then you'd add on 20 counts/min from the external radiation, to find the point where the count rate of the source has halved.
    So, half of 200 is 100, plus 20, gives you 120 - this comes at 2.4 hours
    ohh okay thank you! I was halving 220 and then taking into account the 20 counts..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.