Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I am currently doing my A level French as well as A level Portuguese (i'm a native Portuguese speaker).

At first I was planning to just do a French BA degree but I thought that learning a new language would be more interesting since I love languages, and I have been interested in learning Spanish for some time. The main thing that was putting me off was that perhaps knowing 3 romance languages would get too confusing, as they are pretty similar.

Despite the challenge I'm leaning more to doing a French and Spanish (beginner level-ab initio) degree in uni because the degree structure seems more interesting than French alone and would open up more opportunities. I'm just worried it will get too confusing and stressful. Any advice? :s
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoalaBeeaar)
    Hiya,

I am currently doing my A level French as well as A level Portuguese (i'm a native Portuguese speaker).

At first I was planning to just do a French BA degree but I thought that learning a new language would be more interesting since I love languages, and I have been interested in learning Spanish for some time. The main thing that was putting me off was that perhaps knowing 3 romance languages would get too confusing, as they are pretty similar.

Despite the challenge I'm leaning more to doing a French and Spanish (beginner level-ab initio) degree in uni because the degree structure seems more interesting than French alone and would open up more opportunities. I'm just worried it will get too confusing and stressful. Any advice? :s
    I study French, Spanish and Latin, so I kind of have a similar problem! If you like the idea of learning Spanish, go for it; the grammar will probably be quite intuitive since you're already familiar with how romance languages tend to work, and if you're interested enough in the language, you'll find it easier to learn. One thing I find helpful when dealing with several lexically similar languages is to remind myself of how the languages differ. In the case of French, Portuguese and Spanish, each language is very phonologically distinct from the others, so if you focus on learning "by ear" and improving your listening and pronunciation skills, the different sounds of each language should prevent you from mixing them up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonechka)
    I study French, Spanish and Latin, so I kind of have a similar problem! If you like the idea of learning Spanish, go for it; the grammar will probably be quite intuitive since you're already familiar with how romance languages tend to work, and if you're interested enough in the language, you'll find it easier to learn. One thing I find helpful when dealing with several lexically similar languages is to remind myself of how the languages differ. In the case of French, Portuguese and Spanish, each language is very phonologically distinct from the others, so if you focus on learning "by ear" and improving your listening and pronunciation skills, the different sounds of each language should prevent you from mixing them up.
    Thank you for your advice Sonechka! I'll try my best

ReputationRep:
    As Sonechka told before, one you have started with one language, all the other in the same family come easier, since grammar and structure are similar. Yes, you can feel confused sometimes, that's sure! But the big pro is that each language will help the other, I mean, you study let's say French and you'll understand things about Frenche and Portuguese and Spanish.

So don't worry and try it, if you are motivated; that's the most important!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.