The Student Room Group

Medicine work experience

I’m confused about how long we’re meant to do work experience for to apply to a university to take medicine. Some people say that you have to be committed and do it for a number of months while others say you can do short bits such as weeks over a larger period of time (a year). Anyone know what an optimum time would be?
Most unis arent too bothered for how long the duration of your work experience is, just that you have it and with some variety. Volunteering however, usually its best to try and get that fairly regular and long term (shows commitment)
Reply 2
Original post by iloading22
I’m confused about how long we’re meant to do work experience for to apply to a university to take medicine. Some people say that you have to be committed and do it for a number of months while others say you can do short bits such as weeks over a larger period of time (a year). Anyone know what an optimum time would be?

Hi there, I think usually minimum of 6 months work experience required in healthcare related field.
Btw work experience does not equal work shadow.
Reply 3
Original post by Ginga
Hi there, I think usually minimum of 6 months work experience required in healthcare related field.

6 months in one go? and what would work experience include?
Original post by Ginga

Where did you hear this?
There is no "minimum" nor "optimal" amount of work experience. Some universities have particular work experience requirements (e.g. Warwick asks for X months work in a healthcare setting) but most don't and there is certainly not a universal rule.

Work shadowing is good for understanding what a doctor does and some of the nuances that come up in their day-to-day work. Long-term volunteering is good for becoming "part" of an organisation, getting to know staff/patients/clients, showing commitment, and giving the impression that you care about (helping) people.

If you have lots of time to plan, I would recommend:

-One long-term commitment (e.g. volunteering or a part-time job) over months/years in a healthcare or caring role, e.g. working with the disabled, elderly, homeless, small children, etc.
-Work shadowing placements in a variety of settings, e.g. GP, hospital, community services (pharmacy, hospice, district nurse, etc).

Most people aren't able to arrange all of the above and lots of places are offered each year to applicants with only one type of work experience. As others have said, it's much more important to show what you learned from work experience than just to describe lots of different placements
Reply 6
Original post by totodile
Where did you hear this?

Hi, it certainly was the requirement when I applied a few years ago.

They do not expect work shadowing as it is increasingly hard/impossible to work shadow due to the sheer no. of applicants who want it.

Long term work experience is needed (6 months) as it shows commitment. Some examples include working in a hospice, care home etc.
Remember to apply early as many people usually compete for these limited spaces.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending